Shifting (seventeen)

The following week you and Billy hung out every day. And oddly enough, you were even more inseparable than before.

Billy was still bruised, but he never came to school with any new bruises, which meant that Neil was laying off for a while. You hoped with everything that you would never see Billy with another bruise, but you also knew very well that family issues didn't end overnight. Your own parents were living examples of that.

Nevertheless, you enjoyed the calm.

The locker door squeaked lightly when you opened it to gather your History books. Your locker door used to be covered with polaroid pictures of you, Carol, and Tina. But now, the door was covered in pictures and mementos from several of you and Billy's hangouts.

The movie ticket from that day you and Billy had gone to the cinema was there, a polaroid selfie from one of your trips to the ice cream shop was there, and several notes with jokes you had passed in class were there.

You smiled and felt your heart get light by the sight. But you were quickly pulled out of it when Tommy's loud voice resonated in the hall.

He was walking with Steve, Tina, and Carol. And Carol was locking arms with him lovingly while he was telling a trivial story. They had apparently made up despite the fact that Carol had kissed Billy.

You furrowed your eyebrows, unimpressed, and scoffed before closing your locker again. You didn't want to talk to any of them, and you were just about to be on your way when Tommy called your name.

"Well if it isn't the ghost y/n Harrington".

You turned around to face Tommy with a cold expression, and Tommy snickered.

"How's your boyfriend", Tommy said mockingly, referring to Billy. But Tommy forgot that two could play that game, and you absolutely would.

"How's your girlfriend? Has she cheated since then", you replied coldly and gave him a fake smile. This made Tommy furious, and his smug grin instantly shifted to an angry frown.

"You bitch-", he snarled, but Steve cut him off with his own impulse.

"Y/n, can we talk"?

Steve looked completely unfazed by Tommy's remark, and you let out a dumbfounded scoff. You would never have let anyone speak ill of him as Tommy did you.

Carol giggled unkindly from Tommy's remark, and she nudged Tina's arm, encouraging Tina to join her. But Tina avoided involvement and looked into the floor with an uncomfortable expression on her face. She was embarrassed by the situation.

You glanced at Tina and found yourself disappointed that she didn't say anything to Tommy either. After all, you had actually liked Tina as a friend. But Steve disappointed you the most. He was your twin brother, and he was supposed to have your back.

"What do you want", you barked at Steve, and Steve winced from your harsh tone, and a hurt expression spread on his face.

"I just want to apo-", Steve uttered, sorry, but before he could finish his sentence, a warm arm planted itself on your shoulder.

You turned your head away from Steve, granting your attention to the person beside you.

It was Billy, and his expression was observing. He was figuring out whether the others were troubling you or not.

"A group meeting? What's the occasion", Billy asked, and you pulled him away, seeing your chance of escaping.

"Nothing. Let's go to class", you replied, not allowing Steve to talk to you anymore, and Billy glanced at Steve who looked torn, before following you through the bustling school hall.