You walked slowly, doing your best to be as quiet as possible, and you could hear Steve chat with your father, and your mother piling food onto a plate. They were laughing happily.

You quietly stepped into the living room, and the floor creaked slightly. Your mother turned to you, and her eyes widened in excitement when she saw you.

"Y/n 'my baby. Welcome home, I missed you so so very much", your mother, Gwyneth, chanted and hurriedly pulled you in for a hug. The hug was warm but too affectionate for you to bear, so you ended it almost immediately.

"My how you've grown skinny", she gasped, but you ignored her. Your mother was a plump woman, so you didn't give it too much thought.

"You didn't call and tell that you were going home", you stated questioningly and pulled the chair beside Steve out to sit down. And Steve moved a little to the side, granting you easier access to sit closer to the table.

"We thought we would surprise you and Steve", your father, Richard, replied and shoveled some roasted potatoes into your plate. He glanced at you and put some extra potatoes on the plate afterward.

"You're mother's right, you're too skinny", he added, and you frowned a little offended, but accepted the plate anyway.

"Well, we're glad you're home either way", Steve said and gave them a happy smile. This made your mother smile the whole way up to her ears, and you found yourself getting a little irritated by the whole situation. It was too chummy.

You fiddled a potato with your fork, having no appetite. You were uncomfortable. Plates and glasses clinked while your family put down the food, and your mother turned to look at you.

"So, Steve tells me there's a new boy at school... What was his name"? Your mother looked at Steve for help, and Steve spoke.

"Billy Hargrove".

"Billy Hargrove", she repeated, and you looked at her puzzled, not understanding why she was bringing it up.

"I hear he's a real troublemaker, causing some disturbance at school", your mother stated with hints of judgment in her voice. You looked at Steve, confused as to why he'd told your mom, and wondered just how much he'd told her.

"Uh, well, yeah. Billy actually just dropped me off at home half an hour ago", you replied, taken aback.

"Here, eat some pie", your father mumbled and put a piece of pie next to your already full one. You looked at him baffled, and annoyance was tingling in you. You looked at your mom again and forced a smile.

"Why? Are you gonna tell me I can't hang around Billy anymore", you said jokingly, but your mother smiled delightedly at your words.

"Yes, actually! We don't think you should spend time with bad influences like him. You're much better off with people like Tommy", she sang confidently, and you frowned slightly. Anger was boiling inside of you, and it was hard for you to contain it. However, you did your best to keep your calm and stuck your fork into the pie and took a small bite.

It was sweet, but with a bitter aftertaste.

"Billy's actually nice, mom. He isn't such a badass", you tried to put in a good word for Billy, but Steve snorted mockingly.

"What", you hissed, and Steve gave you a judgmental look.

"He's a total douchebag to everyone, y/n", Steve scoffed, and your mother's face soured.

Your parents had seen you for less than an hour, and they were already controlling everything like they actually had a clue of what was right and wrong.

"Look, I don't want to see you hanging around him anymore. He'll just spoil a nice girl like you", your mother said firmly, and you lost it.

You slammed your fork into the table and looked at your startled parents with wild eyes.

"Well, if you were actually ever home, then maybe I wouldn't feel the need to hang around such bad influences", you hissed, struggling not to scream. Steve's expression darkened, and he grabbed your shoulder angrily.

"Y/n"!

You slapped his hand off of you and stood up abruptly.

"No, Steve", you dismissed his attempt to make you stop saying anymore. Your eyes welled up, and you looked at your parents, heartbroken.

They were the reason that you felt lonely every god damn day. They were the reason you went to bed crying. They were the reason you sought intimacy from strangers. THEY were the problem.

"You haven't been home for 3 weeks! 3 weeks! You haven't the slightest idea of anything that's happened and yet the first thing you do is dictate how I am to live my life", you scoffed in disbelief and facepalmed.

Your breaths were quick and you felt like you were going to vomit at any moment. You laughed in frustration

"You DO NOT get to waltz in and out of my life as you please, just to return and act like all mighty parents! I DON'T HAVE PARENTS", you shouted from the top of your lungs, and your mother looked at you frightened.

You turned to Steve with pain in your eyes.

"And you! I can't force you like Billy, but if you weren't so god damn busy feeling self-righteous and butt-hurt all the time, then you'd know that Billy makes me feel less lonely", you cried frustratedly and looked back at your parents with anger evident of your face.

"And for the record! Tommy and his gang are actually the real losers. But you wouldn't know that, because you're never home"!

You left the room completely silent with your honest words, and you ran out of your house hastily. You wanted your parents gone. Everything had just started to get good. You weren't as lonely anymore, but now they'd gone and ruined it.

You needed to talk to someone, and that someone was Billy.