Chapter 38

Elena's POV

3 Years Ago

I watched Nadia for days, seeing what her routine was to find anything on why there were bruises on her wrists and I soon realized there were bruises on her ankles. Something in this prison was off and it was all circled around Robert Smith, the old mayor whose life was taken because he tried to rape me. A man who ruined everything for me by just dying. My life wasn't perfect but at least I was in a prison where I always had to keep one eye open while sleeping.

Nadia's movements were normal or looked normal. No pause or eyes wandering into a memory you couldn't escape, it was as if nothing ever happened but women like Nadia, were able to push down the pain and pretend like they were fine. Women like me.

Nadia was speaking to me but all I hear were the droplets of water falling onto the caged window. Following each drop fall with my eyes, trying to reach the window but the cage stopped me.

"Huh?" I asked, realizing she was still talking and Nadia sighs, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "You must keep paying attention to me, darling. Or you'll never learn your way around here."

Nadia takes my hand, pulling me off my cot and I almost fell on my face, tripping on air. "See the exit points." Nadia whispers showing the exits where the guards were guarding. "You'll never pass that area unless you have money. Money in here allows us to bribe our ways into things we want. There are other ways of course but I am no one's bitch or whore."

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked confused wondering why in the world I needed to hear about this. I was on a death sentence.

"Because, dear, we're going to escape."

Weeks of watching the guard's routine, when they eat, move, take a dump, and even blink. Weeks of sweeting up the nurse because she was our way out and I was using her just as much as she was using me. For her social experiment and her self-discovery.

Sitting in a leather armchair, my wrists and ankles were tightly chained to the ground. My hands were gripping the armchair as the guard tightened my chains connecting them to the floorboard in front of the couch I hear a click making me know they were connected and the sound of his body shifting his weight up made me glance up with hatred and disgust.

I wanted to swing this chain and wrap it around his throat wanting to see how long he could hold his fucking breath.

He enjoyed others' pain that's why he took this job, he liked to see women in pain. It's only fair to return the favor.

He smiled sensing my annoyance at how tightly the chains were before he left the room in glee. I scoffed before leaning back in my seat, glancing at the doctor/therapist or whatever she calls herself. She had a white doctor coat thrown over her shoulders, a pair of black leggings, and a light blue dress shirt. Her dark black hair was tied back in a low bun and her skin shined underneath the sun flowing through the windows. Her light green eyes that reminded me of the inside of a lime pinned my brown eyes and she smiled.

"Ready?"

"Ready to be judged? I'm never ready but that never matters, does it?"

I leaned forward as much as I could with these chains on and slightly turned my head to look at the door which was closed but the shade on the window was up so the guard could just look in here and I would be out of here in matters of seconds for what I had to do next. I've spent every week here with her since that day. For a month, I was here planning with Nadia and we were so close.