Chapter 28

Alessandro

Anger was an easier emotion to control when it came to anything and when you show a deeper emotion, people were able to tear you up from the inside. That's why it was always better to keep a distance from other people. The only people I needed were my siblings.

And Elena.

She believed I hated her when we first met but the truth was I was intrigued. She was only a baby when I met her and she didn't remember that day but I did. I remembered everything about her. It was 13 years, 5 months, and 5 days ago.

When my mother let me hold her, my eyes went to hers, tilting my head to the side wondering how something could look so fragile and innocent. Nothing in the world has ruined it and there were no bruises or gifts imprinted on her skin. Her eyes always stayed on mine and never tried to blink and I smiled. She wanted to see me. She wanted to never look away.

My father immediately took her out of my arms as if holding something precious was too dangerous and I just stood there, wanting her back. I wanted to reach out and take her back into my arms feeling comfort in holding her and shielding her from the cruel world ahead of her.

I was in my room sitting on the floor where she placed me telling me she couldn't reach my head if I sat on the bed with her. My knees were bent as my feet were placed on the floor, pushing my head back so her hands could move further into my scalp. She always used her nails, scratching my scalp knowing it calmed me down when her hands were in my hair.

Elena was laying on the bed on her stomach with her feet in the air. "Alec, stop moving! You'll mess up my creation!" Elena scolds as I tried to move a tiny braid she's made off my face. "It's my hair, Elena." I pointed out lifting my head to look at her and her brown eyes met mine.

"I know. Why are you letting me touch your hair?" Elena asked suddenly curious and I hated when people asked me questions they knew the answers to and she knew the answer to this question, she just never admitted it to herself or believed she was unworthy.

"Because I can."

"But once you said you'll carve the next person who ever touches your hair. Are you going to kill me?" Elena teased with a hint of curiosity still pooling in her eyes.

My hand rose, rubbing her upper cheek and she leaned forward, closing her eyes.
"The only person allowed to even touch me is you. I don't want other hands on me." I admitted and a smile formed on her face before it quickly disappeared.

"You're bigger than me, Alec. Girls are going to want you and I won't be good enough for you." Elena whispered and I hated that she believed her age was a problem for me. The only reason why I hate the fact that she's younger is the insecurities it brought her.

"Hey. You are always enough for me. Never speak those lies again." I said and she smiled, placing a kiss on my cheek. "Promise?"

"I promise."

Rage filled my chest as I walked into Linda's Doughnut shop wanting to hold my girl in my arms only to hear her screams and see Antonio Williams on top of her.

I was blinded and all I saw was red. I yanked him off of her and she gasped, turning to her side. Before I knew it I was on top of him, sending blows from every angle. He touched her and tried to rape her even after I gave him my warning.