Chapter 21

Elena

I was seated in her office with my hands connected on my lap as I bounced my leg up and down anxiously as I waited for her to get back.

It was the last period which was the closest time I could see her since she had appointments with other students before me.

The door opened and her heels clicking against the marble white floor didn't help my nerves as she sat in her seat in front of me with a welcoming smile before she opened my file.

"Elena, you've gotten good grades since you've been here and have been actively taking an extra curriculum but you don't have enough for a good college application." Ms. Rivers explained and I frowned. "Didn't they already decide that I was one of the two people who they've decided to go to their school in the fall?"

"Yes, but Elena they can change their minds at any point so you'll want a backup plan and we both know you aren't financially supported."

Hot boiling anger filled my chest and I gathered my things wanting to hit my face with a crowbar. "Where are you going?"

"To find someone who will understand that I already know I don't have much money and I'm trying my hardest but you've made it clear that Allen's going to make it instead of me."

"Elena, I'm not trying to be cruel but I'm speaking in a sense that will prepare you for the future. You can't always have someone in your corner."

"Oh trust me, I know that by heart." I slam the door as I leave her office. I run my hands through my hair before my anger rose to my throat and I kicked the trash can. I sighed, dropping to the floor next to the locker below mine.

"I'm never leaving here, am I?" I whispered to myself cupping my forehead with both my hands.

"So I see he's finally fucked you, don't worry girl it's only a few more days until he drops your ass and moves to the next."

I couldn't handle this right now. But her words hurt me more than I liked to admit.

I stood up from the floor grabbing my bag off the ground and throwing it over my shoulder. I moved to leave when she grabbed my arm pulling me close to her and all that was written on her face was disgust.

Jessica was the definition of a jealous girl who made others suffer for her insecurities. "If you want some advice, drop him. Drop him before he breaks you because he'll come back to me knowing you'll never meet his needs."

Her words played a loop in my head as I pulled my arm out of his grip before walking out of the school.

Was she right? Was I not what he wanted? Did he want more than I could offer? I wasn't opposed to sex, it's just...the last time my mother knew I was fooling around with a guy, I was hurt more than ever and not just by her. I never counted my relationship in the past as a first, it never felt like a relationship but something I couldn't get out of.

At first, it was romantic and I trusted him but then he hurt me worse than my mother and formed a wall in my heart. I swore never to tell anyone ever again about my mother except Isabella and Dominic.

They were the only ones I could trust. My aunt and uncle, I loved them but I couldn't tell them that the woman they knew was abusing me, not just physically but mentally.

I crossed my arms over my chest, sighing. I lifted my head at the blue sky and wondered how it would feel to be here one day and disappear the next. Would anyone care? Would they cry? Would they feel anything?

I shut my eyes and just stood in silence and suddenly heard footsteps behind me and gasped when someone's hand was on my shoulder.

Frightened, I spun around facing Mr. Williams gripping my chest, breathing heavily as he wore a smile filled with worry. His hands grip my shoulders, steadying me as I stumble on my feet.