Chapter 12

Elena

I woke up alone in my bed, the covers were up to my chin and I snuggled more into my pillow not wanting to get up just yet. I slowly reopened my eyes seeing no Alessandro but the other side of the bed was messed up and the sheets wrinkled told me I didn't sleep alone. Or I just move a lot.

I sighed sitting up and getting off my bed before getting to the bathroom which was right next to my room only a few steps away. I put music in the background while I brushed my teeth. I hummed to the song and swayed back and forth. I finished brushing my teeth before I got a call as I walked out of the bathroom.

It was the same unknown number and I sighed. Let's just see who's calling me because it hasn't stopped since I've fallen asleep. "Hello?" I answered the call. I held it against my ear holding my phone between my shoulder and ear as I dried my hands.

"Hello, Mija. Forgot about your dear uncle?" A voice I haven't heard in years spoke which made me drop the towel in my hands. I placed my hand over my mouth releasing a gasp in shock. After all these years I believed he forgot about me, that they had all forgotten about me and he was asking me if I forgot about him? "Papi?" I asked with uncertainty before I heard his laughter making me smile.

"No other old man you know." He chuckles at my stupidity. "Abuelo is still sleeping. I was looking for him." I teased happily hearing my uncle's voice. "Hey, I'm not that old." He rebuttals. I chuckled and silently made a noise asking him 'Are you sure'

"I've missed you and everyone so much," I said with tears building up in my eyes. "We missed you too but you'll see us very soon." He said and it sounded like a promise. "Promise?"

"I promise, Mija." A promise was made and I will wait for him to keep it.

After the call, I broke into a full-on happy dance. And I rushed down the stairs, sliding down the floor using my hairbrush as a microphone. I was so grateful that Alessandro bought me a phone cause I can listen to all the music I want now.

I heard someone knocking on the front door and I was so lost in the music. So lost of the remembrance of my family, the happiness of knowing they didn't forget me. That I was still loved by them even though I was far away. I danced, dragging my feet, swaying my hips towards the door, and opened the door. I backed away from the door, turning around not even bothering to see who was there. I spun around pointing my ass out with my mouth dropping a little before it turned into a smile, holding the wall next to me.

My dancing came to a slow stop when I remembered. Did I open that?

I turn around to see Jessica holding up her phone taking a video and I sighed knowing it's going to be everywhere when I walk into school tomorrow. "How do you know where I live?" I asked, stalking towards her moving to grab her phone when she backs away before going under my arm, she spins around holding her phone exposing me.

"Wow, the famous Elena James lives in a slum. Who would have guessed it?" Jessica pouts but you could see the smirk hiding underneath and I crossed my arms over my chest. My mother always wanted me to keep my father's last name. One time I begged her to let me change it into hers to remind me of my family, she almost killed me calling me a disgrace.

She couldn't stop loving him even though he left her the day after I was born after telling her to keep me and they would get through this together.

"Jessica, please leave," I said feeling uncomfortable with her showing everyone at school my house. I knew she was going to post the video and I didn't understand why she hated me so much. I didn't even know her and she didn't know me. "Why? I'm starting to believe we can be friends even though you're...you."