Chapter 23

Elena

 I was never the girl who would shine in the spotlight craving for attention others craved. I enjoyed staying more from the eyes of others so no one would see the pain under my smile.

I was sitting down in a dining room where the massive space was draped in blue silk with a crystal vase of orchids, lilies, and gardenias in the center of the table. The black marble was soft beneath my fingers.

A man who was feared by the world was sitting at the head of the table with his wife on his right but both didn't acknowledge the other.

My uncle and aunt were sitting side by side on the man's left, with their hands connected on the table.

The difference between the lovers was that one cared deeply for one other and the other wanted just one thing from the other.

I sat next to the son of the man everyone feared and he had his head held high not showing a sign of weakness and I wish I could do that. Be scared of nothing but nothing ever went my way. Fear is just a part of being human and no matter how much we hate it, we must live with it.

I felt fingers move to find my thigh and my head turned towards the son and I knew how his hands felt on me. Rough but gentle. With sparks hitting me from every direction as his thumb rubs over my sensitive skin and my hand grasps his underneath the table. As a secret, we cared for one another and his love kept me moving.

His father wanted us to be married but never wanted us to care for one another. He just believed this was just business for the longest time but it formed into something more for us.

I squeezed his hand trying to assure him that I'm fine. He found the bruises and by the way they were made he knew it wasn't my mother who caused them. The first time he ever saw one of my bruises, he threatened that the person responsible would burn in hellfire created by him.

He moved to take a sip of his whiskey and I moved to take my glass of water. "No, darling. Please, I indulge you with our whiskey." The mafia leader says and no one dared to oppose him. My aunt and uncle would always let me take a sip of liquor but never more.

My eyes went to Alessandro's whose jaw was clenched and I knew the moment I took that glass, he might explode. He had a thing about how older he is than me, believing it was going to be the downfall for us but it didn't matter to me. I was more worried about him leaving me for someone older and prettier.

I knew if I said no, Adriano, Alessandro's father would have a rage fit and I didn't feel like hearing it.

I grabbed the glass one of the many servants served for me and silently thanked them before tipping the glass, letting the burning sensation burn down my throat feeling Alessandro's eyes on me.

I placed my glass back on the table feeling Alessandro's grip tighten and I knew his fingernails were soon to be next. Digging into my skin before he could break skin, I grabbed his hand and I felt his hand lose, grasping my hand in trying to calm his heart.

He hated his father more than I've seen anyone hate their father. I didn't ask what happened between the two. I just let him know I'm here.

"Elena, I've heard so many things about you. Pardon me for not being able to see more of you." Adriano says, flashing his famous grin and placing a fake smile on my lips, "Well I do hear many things about you, sir."

"All good I hope." He knew that was a lie but I nod nonetheless and he nods, pleased. "Well after dinner, you should meet me in my study. We have much to discuss." My uncle, aunt, and Alessandro send wary glances to one another, and Alessandro couldn't help but squeeze my hand.