Chapter 24

Elena

I sent Alessandro a glare as Vanessa helped him into his seat and he sent me a sly grin. My eyes went to Vanessa and piles of insecurities were dumped onto my lap.

Her pale glowing skin shined underneath the sun that was shining through the glass windows. Her thin flat body that made models look absurd was in a short blue and gray company cleaner uniform. Her body fitted it like a glove and her red hair flew down her body like a waterfall.

Well, I can't sue him now!

The one time I needed someone to be a blonde

But all the other times they were

How is that fair?

My head hung low as I tried to block my mother's voice from filling my ears.

"You are worthless. The one thing you need to do to make me proud and you've failed at that too! Being beautiful isn't hard but for you, it seems impossible!"

I hated the fact that I could never be good enough for her. Never pretty enough, smart enough, loving enough, worthy enough. When will I ever be good enough for you, mama? When?

Vanessa spared me a confused glance. I noticed the first three buttons of her collar shirt were opened showing her cleavage. I could see her red lace bra from here and Alessandro took it upon himself to grab my plate and before I could argue, he dumped Vanessa's baked eggs and sausage onto my plate.

Not giving me too much but enough to fill me up knowing me all too well. He added a croissant and some fruit from the table before checking Mateo's plate before adding fruits making Mateo smile.

When he was pleased, he told Mateo he could begin eating before kissing his nappy morning hair. Mateo dove into his plate as he complained about how he was still forced to go to school as a prisoner and Alessandro leaned back in his seat after he filled his plate.

He listened to his brother's every word as he spared glances at me, he mouthed 'eat all of it' five different times and I rolled my eyes each time. I noticed Vanessa still there and she was in the corner unnoticed cleaning before heading down the hallways making me clench my fork.

Alessandro pulled my chair closer to his after deciding I was too far from him. "I don't understand why school was invented! The world's trying to kill me there, Alex! I don't like the kids there, they're annoyed and obnoxious. Elena, tell him he should just let me stay here."

My throat closed up on me as both boys' eyes were on me and both crossed their arms. They looked like the split image of one another.

Why did he have to bring me in the middle of this?

"Yes, Elena. Please tell me that I should let my brother drop out of school at eight years old."

This dick!

"Mateo, what do you want to be when you grow up?" I changed the subject and Mateo tilted his head, tapping his chin with his pointer finger.

"Alex!" His admiration of his older brother warmed my heart as I sent a look towards Alec, whose head hung down gripping the table making me scrunch my nose. "Well, think of school as your ticket closer to getting there. That's what I've been doing." School was my ticket out of here.

"Ok, I guess I can handle it. I can always just beat Oscar up." Mateo shrugs, stuffing his mouth with more food.

I chuckled as I placed my hand on Alessandro's knee and he looked up, finding my eyes, and they were filled with pain and suffering. I didn't understand why he was so upset about Mateo wanting to become just like him. I understood why Mateo admired his older brother, I did. His hand grasped mine and he turned my palm, connecting our fingers and Mateo was now playing with his fruit. "Mateo, eat your fruits," Alessandro said and Mateo mumbles something about fruits being little devils like vegetables.