Chapter 31

Alessandro

Martina laid on my lap with her arms wrapped around my waist, her eyes were glued shut and I watched her body move with each breath, pressing my two fingers against her neck, checking to see if she was still alive. I do it every night to her and Lorenzo, knowing people died in their sleep and I'm scared they'll leave me the only way they knew how, by death.

I'm not scared to admit to myself that I fear things being taken from me. Everything I owned was supposed to stay with me never taken but everyone took it like it was their own. I'm only fourteen and had to take care of my siblings like I were their parents but I was used to it.

The feeling of responsibility but never relaxation. Being locked away but never freed. Anger and pain but never warmth and love.

Tightening my hold on my little sister who was the same age as Elena, there was something about her that wouldn't let me want someone else. Elena Campbell was a goddess and she never knew she was born for chaos and destruction and I was going to be by her side. We'll take over the world and no one would ever be able to touch us again.

I wouldn't have to cut myself to be able to breathe.

Martina's head hit my stomach as the doorknob twisted and someone tried to open it but couldn't. My body froze waiting for the person to speak. "Alex?" Lorenzo's voice made my tense muscles relax knowing it wasn't my mother behind those doors.

With my father, I knew what he was capable of and how he punished me for every wrong move I made. Or he'll just pretend I've done something wrong making any excuse to whip me.

But with my mother, I believed she wanted to protect me but when I turned eight I knew that was all a lie. She just wanted to corrupt my mind before she touched me, turning me into her personal sex toy.

Sliding from underneath Martina, helping her under my covers. I'll have to take her back to her room. Heading towards the door, turning the doorknob after unlocking it, pulling it open to see Lorenzo with black sweatpants on and a white t-shirt. I knew why he was here, he wouldn't handle being in the dark alone and I wasn't going to allow him to suffer when I could stop his pain.

Widening the door open, allowing him inside and Lorenzo let out a breath of relief before heading inside. He never liked to admit it but he always came in.

He sees Martina and turns to me once again as I shut my door, I locked it before heading to him. I wasn't one for personal touch but he was my family and I would always sacrifice myself just so he could live. He and Martina were the only thing that mattered.

I grabbed the back of his head, burying my fingers into his dark black curls before pushing him to my chest allowing him to hug me. He knew how much I hated when others touch me but he also knew he and Martina were the only ones allowed to freely touch me. He loved that. He loved the idea of having things others couldn't.

Lorenzo wrapped his arms around me, shivering and I looped my arm around his shoulders. "I'll put on the nightlight. Come on, I know you're tired." Pulling him to the bed, he climbed on getting under the covers next to Martina. He wrapped his arm around her, curling his body with hers and Martina sighed but didn't move to know who it was.