Chapter 41: Emergency Request

Start from the beginning

At this point Cain, Jack, and Zane have managed to get to the front of the group as well. Seeing that Abel is still talking to the branch chief, Cain asks, "What is the hold up little bro? Did you forget what you are supposed to be doing?"

"No, I was just taking on another job for 200,000 luta," Abel states.

Jack says, "Is that right? What job pays that much?"

The branch chief says, "It would only be 100,000 for you. The Bladelord is having a special exception be made for him."

Cain states, "Well I imagine that if my little bro is going to get 200,000 then someone like me should easily be paid upwards of 500,000 for the job. After all, I am at least twice as good as him."

The branch chief is about to say something when a second blue rank adventurer says, "I will give up my 100,000 to him."

"Fine. I guess that I can have you be paid 200,000 for the job," the branch chief declares. He then asks the rest of the people in the room, "Now then, would any of the rest of you like to sign up to go and help fight in the war?"

There are no responses from the group. Zane is not planning on taking the job either. This changes when Abel whispers to him, "We could really use someone with your healing skills on a battlefield. I know that helping people is your top priority and this is the best way that you can do that."

Hearing this Zane signs and says, "Fine I guess I will go as well."

"Glad to hear it. Having someone of your reputation will certainly be a major help on the battlefield," the branch chief states.

One of the adventurers asks at this point, "Why do you say that?"

"Well this young man is the Bringer of Miracles. The greatest healer that the kingdom has ever seen," the branch chief proudly declares.

Hearing this, several of the other adventurers also agree to take on the job. Apparently, having Zane going along gives them assurance that they will make it back from this job alive. Zane is not sure that their confidence is well placed, but he does not voice this to anyone.

In the end a total of twenty adventurers all agree to take on this job. They are also signed up at this point along with the extra two blue adventurers that signed up only so Cain and Abel can be paid more. After this is done, the adventurers are told to get a good night's sleep. They are going to be leaving the following morning.

With this instruction all of the adventurers that are going on the job leave the guildhall. The others filter out as well, until the only adventurers left in the guildhall are Jack, Abel, Cain, and Zane.

Once the others have left Jack says, "So we still need to get paid for the extermination job."

"Ah right. I will get that for you right away," the branch chief says. He then leaves the room to go back to his office. He is gone for only a few moments. Once he is back, he gives each of the four men their pay for the last job.

At this point, Jack states, "Well I am going to be off then. I take it that you don't mind me taking the carriage back to Ur. I mean the rest of you have decided to go and play soldier for the time being."

"I guess that is fine," Cain replies. He then says, "I can understand you being too chicken to go and fight against the demons. After all you did next to nothing in the fight against that lightning monster."

Jack declares, "Oh yeah. I did more than Zane who just hid."

Cain says, "It would have been better for all of us if you had just gone and hid. Better yet if you had never become an adventurer then the monster would have been captured and taken to Ur long before it got here. Then all the people that died would still be alive."