Sixty-one- Scarlet

"A little on edge with the whole parents' thing," I admitted. "I'm okay."

"Are you sure?" Destiny asked. Nothing would ever get past her.

"I am. I have you. I have better now," I said, which caused Destiny to smile. "I wouldn't sacrifice anything I have now."

These moments were too precious. Being with Destiny was too precious to me. She was the most important person in my life. I was confident I would love her forever.

"I'm going to get some work done. Is Ciara okay?" Destiny asked, as she looked towards the baby who was fast asleep on our sofa.

I picked Ciara up so I could cradle her in my arms.

Admittedly, it was a little strange looking after my ex-boyfriend's child at first, but Chase had been my friend first, too. That helped the situation seem a little less strange. Besides, we were friends now and we were both happy for each other. We were okay.

"She's just fine," I told Destiny.

The good thing about babies were that they slept. A lot. However, they were also basically a full-time job. It was one that I was looking forward to one day. Of course, Destiny and I had discussed having children in the future and we both wanted them, but we were happily settled in our careers right now and we wanted to focus on them first and foremost.

Furthermore, my current job definitely beat all of the crappy retail ones I had in the past. I would never look back.

"You work hard," I said, as Destiny loaded up her laptop so she could come and sit on the sofa next to Ciara and me. "And you still have time to work on your art, too. You amaze me."

"I amaze myself. I'm surprised I'm only half as exhausted as I could be," she said. "But we will go on holiday soon. I promise."

"I'd love that," I said, with a pleasant warmth to my voice.

We had been discussing going to Spain for several months, now. I was excited, to say the least. It would be a good thing for the two of us- to explore somewhere new and not be so tied up by our work for a while. It would be more peaceful, and I could tell that Destiny wanted the break, too.

"Do you want some lunch?" I asked Destiny, after she had typed away at her keyboard, for a little while.

"No thank you," she said.

She seemed nervous about something.

There was a knock at the door, and I went to answer it, knowing that it was probably Chase.

He didn't work very long shifts at the weekend, so we didn't have Ciara for very long, which was a little unfortunate. She was really cute.

"Hey," I greeted him and passed Ciara back into his arms.

He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Hi," he replied with a soft smile. "How's she been?" he asked.

"She's been good, Chase. We'll see you soon," I said.

Chase responded with a nod of his head, before he carried Ciara back to his car, so the two of them could soon return home.

I closed the front door and made my way back into the living room to sit down with Destiny again.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

"I've just had a lot on my mind," she said. "It's alright though, because I've got you," she said affectionately, as she closed her laptop and moved over to bring me into a warm embrace. "There was a time when I could only dream about this happening, but now I get to experience it every day," she continued. Her face was glowing, like the sunset outside.

I moved closer to kiss her.

"Can we talk in the garden?" she asked.

I nodded.

The two of us made our way outside and into the beautiful afternoon atmosphere.

Destiny turned back to me with a thoughtful expression upon her face.

"I've been thinking over how I wanted to do this for some time," she said quietly.

It was so rare to see Destiny so nervous. The very sight was giving me butterflies. I thought my heart might burst again.

"But... I know I want to do it now," she said, before getting down on one knee.

My eyes pricked with tears.

"Scarlet Austen, will you please do me the honour of becoming my wife?" she asked, as she held up a little box with a gorgeous diamond ring in it.

"Yes, of course I will!" I replied.

Destiny pulled me into her arms and kissed me again, her lips soft and gentle against my own.

"Am I in a dream?" I whispered when she pulled back to meet my gaze again.

She raised an eyebrow at me.

"It feels like that sometimes, doesn't it?" she asked.

"It does," I admitted, a little breathless. This all felt so surreal. "I've never been surer of anything, though. You're my best friend, Destiny. You treat me better than I could ever wish to be treated. I love you, for now and forever."

"I love you too, sweetheart. I always will," she said, placing her hands gently against each side of my face. She kissed me again and my heart drummed rhythmically inside my chest.

All my life, I had wished to be at peace with who I was and who I had in my life. Destiny brought me so much happiness, I could only begin to repay her for everything that she had done, but I believed the start of forever was a pretty good start.

-THE END-