Thirty-five- Scarlet

"We should get to the café," Destiny said, after a moment. "I'm sure Andre will be there soon."

"Let's go," Milly said, with a small smile.

The three of us left the park and walked back down the pavement towards the best local café in the city.

"You go first, Scarlet," Milly said, gesturing for me to go ahead of her.

I went into the café first and caught sight of Andre sitting at a table nearby.

I walked over to him to sit with him and Destiny and Milly soon joined us, too.

"I'm starving. Plus, I need to eat away my pain," Destiny said.

I knew why she was struggling right now, but I wasn't sure that she had even mentioned her driving test this morning to Andre or Milly, so I decided not to bring it up. I could talk to her about it later.

"Why're you in pain?" Andre asked. "Is my presence that painful to bear?"

"Shush, Andre. No," Destiny told him. "I'm really, really happy to see you," she said.

"'Cause I'm hilarious," he replied.

"That is the quality I value most in a friend, yes," she replied.

I took a moment to consider what I valued most in a friend. I supposed the answer to that one would be every single one of Destiny's character traits, but I wasn't going to admit that out loud.

"What do you think the most overrated virtue is?" Milly asked then. "Just switching up the topic."

All eyes fell on her.

"Righteousness," Andre said. "We can't be right all the time."

"Sometimes it's good to admit we were wrong," I spoke.

Three pairs of eyes looked towards me, then.

"You're right," Andre said. "I mean...yeah," he chuckled. "I'll go and get all our coffees. Saves us going up one at a time. What does everyone want?" he asked.

"Caramel lattes for Scarlet and me. And then a big fuckin' breakfast," Destiny said.

At that moment, her stomach chose to growl. Loudly.

That caused Milly to laugh out loud.

"Yes, three horses for my starving friend here please," Milly said.

Destiny rolled her eyes at her friend's antics.

"I'll have a green tea latte," Milly said.

"Perfect," Andre said.

"And a croissant," I said, which caused Destiny to release a gentle laugh.

She knew my fondness for continental breakfast better than anyone.

Andre went away to ask for our orders, while I caught Destiny gazing longingly at the breakfast being cooked up on the other side of the room.

I couldn't wait to have my croissant. I was getting really hungry now, actually.

Soon enough, Andre returned to our table and the barista wandered over to our table with our food and drinks, which she promptly placed down for us all.

I took a bite out of my croissant and discovered heaven was real, after all. It came in the form of viennoiserie pastry and marmalade jam.

"We need more food," Destiny said.

"Do we?" Milly asked, as she took a sip of her green tea latte. It actually looked really good. It was just, you know, green.

"Is that Shrek juice?" Destiny asked.

"Or Kermit juice," Andre commented.

Milly rolled her eyes.

"Leave me and my Yoda juice alone, please," Milly said, now getting in on the joke.

Destiny's friends were as cool as she was. I really wasn't surprised.

Although we were all having a good time, there was a serious expression upon Destiny's face, and I could see the worry reflected in her gaze. I was going to have to talk to her about all of this, when the two of us got home. I always wanted to be there for her.

Destiny chowed down on her meal, and I continued to eat my croissant until it was done, so I could move onto my latte.

"Okay, I am now so full that I officially cannot move," she said. "It was really great getting to see you two again." Destiny then stood up from the table and went to hug Milly and Andre.

"You're leaving?" Milly asked.

"Yeah. I think I just need to clear my head," Destiny said honestly.

She met my gaze for a fleeting moment and there was another glint of an emotion I wasn't entirely certain of.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I asked.

"Yes," Destiny said, without a second thought.

"We'll see you two soon," I said with a smile.

Andre and Milly nodded.

"It was great seeing you, too, Scarlet!" Andre said with a bright grin.

"We'll have to see you sometime soon!" Milly replied.

"We will, I'm sure," Destiny said. "Sorry to love you and leave you like this."

"It's alright. I'll let you off," Milly said and pulled Destiny into one last hug, before they said their goodbyes.

Destiny then started to walk towards the front door of the café, and I followed suit.

Once we were back outside in the fresh air, I turned to Destiny with an expression of curiosity etched on my face.

"What's going on?" I asked her.

"I'm just...worried. Worried about driving. Worried about my stupid mind. Worried about everything."

"Your mind is not stupid, Destiny White. Don't even say something like that again, alright? 'Cause it is not true."

"And I constantly want to please people and I can't. I wanted to hang out with my friends for longer today, but I need time alone. Well, that's a lie. I need time alone with you," she said.

There was something about the way that she said that that warmed my heart.