Eighteen- Destiny

"I like that," Scarlet said, as she reflected on my statements.

"I thought you might," I teased.

"We compare each other too much," Scarlet said.

"We do?" I asked.

Scarlet shook her head.

"I'm not saying that you and I do necessarily, but in general, people do compare each other all the time."

I supposed she did have a good point, there. That was one of the reasons I tried to avoid social media, if at all possible. It could drag you down when you didn't look like the latest Insta celebrity.

I couldn't help but notice that the smile that had previously been on Scarlet's face had disappeared completely.

I needed to take her mind off whatever it was that was bothering her.

"Come on. I'll drive you to the local phone store," I said.

"You have your license?" Scarlet asked.

"Not exactly. My test is in two weeks. It's fine, Scarlet. I promise."

"That doesn't sound safe, Dest. Especially after what happened to me," she said.

Yes, that was true, I supposed, but I also didn't drive like a complete and utter psychopath.

"Alright. We can get the bus," I said, releasing a gentle breath.

It would take longer, but if that was going to make Scarlet more comfortable, then so be it.

The two of us got ready for the day and left my house to walk to the nearby bus stop. We then got onto the bus, and it soon took us to the high street, where all the cool shops were.

Alright, I may be hyping it up a little more than it's worth, but we were about to buy Scarlet a new phone, which was very much needed.

The two of us walked into the local phone store and Scarlet looked over the phones that she thought would be a good choice.

Scarlet had a pretty good budget. It turned out journalism actually paid quite well, if you properly got into it, which Scarlet had, because she was an outstanding writer.

"This one," she said, settling on a baby blue phone nearby. She took the red scrunchy out of her hair and placed it into her bag, letting her brown hair fall around her shoulders. "Let's buy it."

Scarlet could be way more decisive than me. Sometimes.

She headed over to the counter and paid for her phone and the insurance program that the manager practically forced her to get. Scarlet wasn't as good at dealing with peer pressure as I was.

Once we left the store, Scarlet and I walked side by side with plans to get food.

I glanced over to her a couple of times and noticed that she had a worried expression upon her face.

"Scarlet...what's bugging you?" I asked.

"I'm worried that me losing my memories is going to cause a rift between Chase and I and I hate-"

"You hate to think that the two of you could fight because you hate conflict more than anything else. Sound about right?" I asked.

She responded with slightly wider eyes and a nod of her head, so I knew I was on the right track.

"Scarlet... it's going to be fine," I said, with a gentle sigh.

I really didn't want to help her out with Chase. I knew that sounded awful and selfish, but I literally didn't even want to think about the two of them being together most days. God. I sounded like a terrible friend, but I couldn't help the way that I felt.

"What if he won't love me anymore?" she asked.

Then someone else would.

"He does, Scarlet," I said. "Who wouldn't love you? Have you seen yourself? You're beautiful within and you're beautiful on the outside, too."

Scarlet's cheeks warmed in response to my compliments.

She needed to believe me.

She needed to know they were true, and that she had absolutely no reason to ever doubt herself.

If she was mine, she would never been put into a position to doubt herself.

For goodness' sake. I needed to stop. It was hopeless to think like this, but I continued regardless.

"Here's his number," I said, after a moment.

I didn't want to do this, but I had to think of Scarlet in all of this.

After all, she was what mattered the most.

Scarlet thanked me and then dialled Chase's number on her new phone.

"Hey, Chase. It's me. It's Scarlet," she said.

I really wished I had mind reading abilities right now, or at least could hear what Chase was saying on the other side of the line.

"Yeah. I'm fine."

Fortunately, I was smart enough to piece bits of the conversation together.

"Yeah. I'm staying with Destiny at the moment. Well, I just feel like it's what I need right now. No. Chase. What- no. This isn't about that. This isn't about my birthday. I'm not angry with you. Yes. I- I don't know. Maybe. Alright. Speak to you later," she said.

Our eyes met, once she put down the phone, and I tilted my head to the side in my interest.

She looked so beautiful, in the morning sunlight. She was like a princess.

It wasn't fair.

None of this was, though. Life wasn't fair. Wasn't that what everyone always said?

God. They really weren't lying.

"Chase asked if I'm going to go back home. I don't think I can right now," Scarlet admitted.

Thank you, God.

Alright, so maybe I shouldn't have been as relieved as I was, but that didn't change my mood.

A guy walked past Scarlet then and sized her up and I wanted to punch him in the face but restrained myself.

"Just...give it time. See how you feel in a month's time," I said.

I really hoped that a month would be enough for everything to change, but I couldn't hold out hope on miracles.