Five- Scarlet

I scoffed at Destiny's question. No. I had not killed Chase. Yet.

Hopefully that wouldn't have to happen, as long as the two of us started to get along a little better again. It felt like our relationship had just...become different. I wasn't sure exactly where to start in explaining that statement, all I knew was that it was the truth.

"No. We were going to watch a movie, but I was annoyed with him, so instead I just went to sleep," I told her.

She smirked. "I support it," she said. "He should never have ignored you last night, Scarlet."

"He shouldn't but it's okay. He needs to spend time with his friends, too-"

"Not when it's a few days before your fuckin' birthday. It's out of order, Scarlet, and I won't hear any differently," she said.

I shrugged my shoulders at that comment.

Destiny had this look in her eye again, but I couldn't work out what or how exactly she was feeling. Her emotions were sometimes like the weather- constantly changing.

As she noticed me looking at her, her right eyebrow shot up. "What?" she asked.

"I don't know," I admitted.

Her eyebrows then waggled in a playful nature.

"We should just run away, dude," she said.

"You reckon?" I asked, going along with it. I usually did. I liked to think I knew Destiny well enough now to know when she was being serious and when she was playing around, and I believed that this was one of those occasions where she was playing around.

"You think I'm playing," Destiny said. "I'm dead fuckin' serious," she said.

I felt my own eyes widen, then.

"Dest..." I trailed off. I wasn't sure what to say. "Are you buggin'?" I asked. It was a reference to one of our favourite movies, Clueless.

Destiny smirked. "No."

"We can't just up and abandon our lives," I said, my tone dead serious.

Destiny's eyes lit up, then, as though she had a plan. "It doesn't have to be forever."

"It could be just for a moment," I finished. That's what we always used to say to each other, whenever we were struggling, whenever we weren't sure what to do. "We could go away together."

"We could," she said. "Now you're on my line of thinking."

"But what about Chase, Dest?" I asked.

"What about him?" Destiny said. While a part of me assumed that she was joking, she also spoke that retort with sharp swiftness. Her eyes darted between the trees, as she seemed to think. "You'll see him when we get back," she eventually settled on saying. "Listen, all I know is that I was going to leave the club yesterday before Chase ditched."

"You were?" I asked.

"You seemed happy with him and then... I don't know, also not. I stayed because I care for you. You're my best friend. And I couldn't believe that we were finally alone for the first time in ages. I loved that," she said. "'Cause I miss you a lot sometimes, Scarlet. I don't think you really appreciate how much having a partner can affect a relationship."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"I guess just that... I want to be able to hang out with you more. It feels good."

I smiled at that comment.

"It feels good with you too, Dest," I replied. "I'm sorry you've felt like this. I should never, ever, put aside opportunities to hang out with someone as cool as you when Chase is being a stupid boy," I added.

Destiny's lips curled up at the corner.

"Well, you know me," she said, giving a playful wave of her hand at my previous comment.

"You want to just go lie in the grass?" I asked.

Destiny gave an affirmative nod at my question, and so the two of us headed in that direction. It was peaceful here. The only real sounds were those of the birds and the gentle rustling of the leaves as the breeze passed through the trees.

We used to stay out here until the night-time, when the sky was a shade of gorgeous blue and the stars shimmered in the expanse above our heads.

During the day, the sky was also beautiful. It was summer now and so the atmosphere was a stunning shade of cerulean. The sun was beaming down upon us.

"I should have brought my sunscreen," I said aloud.

"We can go sit in the shade if you want?" Destiny suggested.

"Yeah. We can do that in a moment. I want to stay here just a little longer," I said.

Destiny nodded understandingly, as she continued to cloud watch.

"That one is shaped like a potato," she said.

"That one looks like Hayley Kiyoko," I replied.

"It does not," she said. "Okay...maybe a little, actually. You might be onto something here."

"Right?" I asked.

Destiny chuckled.

"Do you have to go to the gym today?" I asked, after a moment.

"Yeah. Why?" she asked.

"I can kind of tell you've been working at it. Your muscles are tres magnifique," I said, in the worst French accent imaginable.

"Tu es vraiment magnifique et merci ma chérie," Destiny replied.

I had taken enough French lessons to sort of understand that and smiled in response.

"De rien," I said.

"Shade?" Destiny asked and I was kind of thankful that the whole French section of the conversation had finished for now.

"Of course," I said and the two of us wandered over in the direction of some tall trees nearby.

Destiny combed her fingers through her platinum blonde hair and smiled a lazy smile at me, as she stared up at the sky above. "Want to listen to a song with me?" she asked.

I nodded. "Which one?"

She shook her head at my question. "That, my dear friend, would ruin the surprise."

She then placed one of her earphones into my ear and I listened to the bass.