14. Not gone yet

Rocco:
———
"This can't be it!" I shout, feeling anger run through my veins all over again.

Grabbing the chair from the ground, I send it flying through the window.

It's been a month since I've last seen or heard from Nova...A month! I feel like I'm going insane, I can't do anything else other than to look for her.

These past couple of nights, sleeping has not once crossed my mind, and the only time I get sleep is whenever they have me waiting outside of the police department.

"Calm down, Rocco. We'll find her but all we need is a little bit more time." My uncle Jett said.

I shook my head. "Time is what we don't have, uncle Jett! Wherever Nova is, she doesn't have enough time, not before they kill her anyway."

Jett sighed and nodded looking down. He knows I'm right but he doesn't want to admit it just to not burst my bubble.

"Alright then, let's look over this again."

"Hell yeah," I said sitting down in front of him while he took out the papers we received yesterday from the private investigator we hired.

"According to kids at school, she went home-"

"Yeah yeah yeah, I was one of those kids, uncle. Real stuff now." I cut him off.

Jett rolled his eyes and went over the next paper. "A neighbor of hers claims to have seen Nova leave her house around four-thirty in the afternoon, no car picked her up, she was alone and they didn't see her after that."

I locked my jaw and I felt my hands bail themselves into fists. Jett gave me a sympathetic look, not even to bring Nova back.

"Listen, Rocco, I know this is not enough information but we have-"

"To be more patient. Yes, uncle Jett, I know." I gritted out.

I can't afford to get angry again and especially not at my uncle. He's the only one who has helped me this entire time with all this.

He is the uncle I joked about during class on our first day of school, with Nova. Where she smiled at my joke after I laughed at hers.

Jett got out of jail not shortly after Nova disappeared. It was actually the same day as Nova's disappearance.

I was going to introduce them to each other but she never showed up.

I know it's weird to have the girl you want meet your uncle instead of your dad or mom, as most people would. But I don't have a good relationship with my father, and I don't want him to scare her off as he has before.

Uncle Jett is the only person who never made me feel like a fucking mistake or a troubled person, he was much more of a father than my actual one was to me.

We were going to watch a car race that was not so far from the prison Jett was in. I had originally bought four tickets, two of those were for some of my old friends, but they couldn't make it. I thought Nova would be interested in that kind of stuff so I invited her.

I should've insisted to pick her up.

"But think, Rocco," Jett spoke again. "Think hard, think about someone who seems too suspicious, something that didn't sit right with you when she was still here."

I frowned. "What do you mean, Jett?"

He groaned and rubbed his green eyes, "isn't it obvious? Do you really believe that whoever took her did it off for fun?"

"I don't, but what are you trying to say?" My eyes narrowed.

"I think that this wasn't a random kidnapping, Rocco." He said, glancing down at the little information we had.

I leaned closer to his desk, "you don't think she was kidnapped?"

He shook his head, "I think that the people who abducted her must've been following her around way before she disappeared. Maybe she was chosen and we don't even know it."

"What makes you say that?" I asked.

"Think about it, if she was picked up from the side of the road, she would've been found dead by now. But she hasn't, meaning someone is holding her captive and we don't know the reason. There is always a reason."

I know that Uncle Jett is right and that Nova could be dead for all I know. But I don't want to give in to those thoughts, I want to believe that she is still alive, giving the assholes who took her hell.

"So think, Rocco." Uncle Jett pressed. "Think about someone, something she told you. Something that seems odd."

I sighed and looked down.

"At this moment, everyone is a suspect. Don't trust nobody, not even your own shadow."

But who?

Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't really think of anyone who seems to want to harm Nova.

That school was full of cunts.

Who could it be?

Mr. Dobrik? No, he's been in the hospital since that day he fell down the stairs. He couldn't possibly have done it.

Abbie? But Abbie doesn't even live near us, and even if she did, I know she didn't do it. She is the type of girl to tell everyone about her private life.

If she kidnapped Nova, I'm sure guilt has been eating her alive, and would've said something by now.

Who else... Wait, that kid! The one from Italy.

Levi Royce, I think that was his name.

Could he possibly? No, he said he was going back to Italy. I know I have heard nothing from him but, he was leaving the same day Nova went missing.

I know it doesn't make sense but, maybe it does.

They went out, I know they did because so did everyone in miss's Moree class. I mean, that is how you were supposed to get to know each other.

Although I don't know where they went, I know that you had to speak upfront about what you learned about them.

I had Abbie as my partner, but that girl was so damn annoying and I just couldn't stand her. I didn't do the work and left right before I could hear Nova's work.

I know she was called next because I was still standing outside the door, only that it was the principal who saw me outside and knew what had happened. He took me right to the office.

I need to know what she said.

I look up and stared into my uncle's eyes hard. "I think I know where we can get more information."