A Vow Of Forever (Part 3)

Beginne am Anfang

"Three." Mikasa squeaked. Eren exhaled a shaky breath, his tears obscuring his vision. "Three kids?" He forced a smile.

Mikasa confirmed with a blink. "Luke..." she breathed, "Hope... and... and, Carla."

"Three rooms for the kids then." His voice broke not matching that smile he was forcing on his face. "Maybe even more if you changed your mind... I'll make... I'll make more, Mikasa..."

Mikasa began to close her eyes. "Hey." Eren shook her lightly, trying to keep her from slipping away, "hey," he swallowed again, "what kind of flowers you said you wanted on your wedding?" He asked, even though he remembers it too well.

White.
"White." It came out in a whisper.
Barely audible.

"Just white? No other colors? You said red was your favorite... Mikasa?"

There was a long pause before Mikasa proceeded to speak again. She even mostly hadn't heard him ask about the colors. "When... when this is all over... you're going to marry me?" Mikasa's face crumpled, but her lips managed to form a soft smile. It was as if she had momentarily forgotten he had just mentioned it seconds ago.

"Yes."
"Really?" Her voice barely above a whisper. Her grin grew even bigger, and tears began to spill freely down her cheeks.

"Yes, yes!" Eren nodded. "Yes... really... Don't you wanna marry me, too? Or you changed your mind?" He forced a grin despite his shaking voice.

"I do."
"I do, too, Mikasa. I do too." His fingers gently ran down her cheek, when he leaned back and looked up at her. "Hold on," he slid his hand into his pocket to pull out the ring, "we don't have to wait till it's all over..." he held her hand carefully and slid it to her finger then he brought his gaze up to her silver blues.

She was smiling, crying silently, biting on her lips to keep it quiet. But smiling.

"I, Eren Jaeger... take, Mikasa Ackerman, to be my wedded wife,"
"...husband," Mikasa repeated breathlessly after him.

"to have and to hold from today," his voice quivering, cracking.

"for better, . . ."

"for worse, . . ."

"for richer, . . ."

"for poorer, . . ."

"in sickness, . . ."

"and in health,"

"to love and to cherish, till-"

Silence.

Eren held his breath when he didn't hear Mikasa's voice no more. "to love and to cherish-" he whispered again catching her eyes stare into him blankly.

Eyes shut. He pressed his forehead against hers, his heart swelling painfully under his ribs. "to love and to cherish till- till-" his throat closed completely when he couldn't feel her warm breath on his face. A sharp stab of pain struck through his chest before another even sharper one followed up. His breath caught in his throat and he began to cry, loud sobbing that makes his whole body shake.

And the rest was silence.

"Mikasa," Eren muttered softly as he reached to brush her hair from her face.

She didn't move.

She was still, her once lively eyes lifeless, and he could feel the warmth coming off her body as the cold breeze of death picked up.

And that was when it all came crashing down on him. His vision began blurring from the sudden influx of tears and it became so hard to breathe. The world around him started to move in slow motion. Everything moved slowly. And the more time went on, the harder it became for his mind to understand what had happened.

And then it hit him, he felt a sob catch in his throat. "Hey..." his voice quivering, still not believing she had left already. Tears burning his eyes, and his throat closed as he shook her little frame in his arms.

His fingers running through her hair. Gentle little shakes, little taps of his finger on her cheeks, praying for her to wake. "Hey, hey, Mikasa, Mikasa." Panic. The name came out shaky but firm, she didn't open her eyes, she didn't move. He wiped away tears with the back of his hand and leaned forward pressing kisses to her forehead and cheeks.

"Please, Mikasa." A soft whimper escaped, "Please wake up for me, please..." Tears poured down his face as he remembered his own words years ago... back when they would play the castle game. But no, it doesn't have to end like this.

"Wake up, wake up! Come on, open your eyes... Mikasa open your eyes! I know you're just playing dead, WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"

It can't end like this...

This doesn't seem fair...

Tears fell faster and hotter from his red rimmed eyes, his breath ragged and uneven in between sobs. "Open your eyes... come on. It's not funny. MIKASA, IT'S NOT FUNNY! Mikasa? Mikasa?! HEY! Mikasa! Mik-Mikasa!" His body wracking violently with his sobs, rocking her back and forth, back and forth, sobbing with all the emotions of a child who loses his mother for the first time, clutching onto her tiny corpse.

Her heart stopped beating, her skin pale and thin like paper. She would not wake up. She would not move. She was gone.

Gone, and so was he.

The chant of her name rang over and over again, like a prayer for forgiveness.

Forgiveness? He hadn't had any in years. If someone were to ask him what kind of man he had become, he'd tell them that he had lost all feelings, lost his sanity and his meaning... that he was no longer a person anymore.

Armin landed from the sky with a heavy thud on the ground. His limbs froze, rooted to the ground, his hand clutching onto his staff nervously the moment his eyes fell on Mikasa, cradled in Eren's arms.

Heart pounding. The sight of him holding her, rocking her back and forth. Cracked voice slipping between tight, ragged breaths, in thin little whispers, Armin heard the words slip through Eren's lips. "You are enough."

"You are more than enough."

"Come back to me."

"Please."

"Please."

The words swam freely in the air. A crease formed between Armin's brows at the realization. His lips trembled. Tears rushed to his round eye, and he dropped on his knees.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Copyright © 2022 Salva Ibraham
Author: SalvaIbraham

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━Copyright © 2022 Salva IbrahamAuthor: SalvaIbraham

Next: The Girl In White

A/N: Next chapter will be out on [Tue, 23 Aug]!