A Vow Of Forever (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"You..." Eren glanced down at her neck, picking up on her words. "You broke the stone, didn't you?" He stared at her neckline despite not seeing the necklace there.

"Everyone did."

Why... WHY, MIKASA WHY! His eyes shut and his body leaned in to rest his forehead against hers. "It's okay... it's okay... I got you. I got you. They'll be here," Eren whispered over and over, as though to comfort her in his arms. His hands were trembling, and his voice breaking at every word. "I'm not leaving you, ever."

But she didn't notice any of it. Not now. All she could hear was the anxiety in his voice as he tried to convince her that everything was going to be okay.

Deep down, Eren knew she was leaving him... he can feel it. He can see it. But something down there... told him there was still time. Something underneath his anger and fear told him she can make it.

Eren leaned back, biting his lip at the sight of the tree branch popping out of her stomach. He turned with his gaze away and cried into the air. "HELP HER! PLEASE!! SOMEONE HELP! HELP HER!!!!" He screamed again, and again, and again until there was no more voice left in him.

"PLEASE..." he bent down and buried his face in the crook of her neck; shaking, sobbing, crying, over, and over, his voice cracking as he cried. "Please.... Someone... please help us....." The world was going black around him, his breaths coming in heavy, ragged gasps.

And then he heard her voice again, thin, and brittle. "Kiss me."

"What?" Eren turned to look at her. Somehow the words did not register even though he heard her clearly.
"Eren, kiss me..." Mikasa inhaled a gulp of air, her brows knitted together, "please..."

Without a second thought, he bent down to press his lips against hers.

Is this goodbye?

He could feel her hand cupping the back of his head.

Is this where they drift apart?

Holding him closer, tighter.
"Kiss me better."

Eren wailed as his lips stretched into a trembling smile and his brows furrowing in pain.

"Again."

He kissed her harder...

"Again."

Softer...

Each time, his heart would clench tighter.

Each time, blades cut through his chest, tearing him apart.

"Again," Mikasa whimpered, tears squeezing from her eyes. Eren stopped. He pulled back, and turned his face to the side, pressing his jaws together. Body shaking. He can't do this anymore. She's already giving up. She thinks she won't survive, but he refuses to believe that. They will get through this together. He knows it!

Eren turned to see her eyes drooping, closed, a paralyzing panic rippled through him as his heart sank.

"Hey." His voice rose. Shaking. "Stay with me."

His palm cupping her cheek, bringing her eyes open once more. "Listen, listen... You're gonna be okay, and when this is all over," he started, gazing deeply into her half lidded eyes, voice low and hoarse, "I'm going to marry you, we'll move out somewhere quiet, and I'll build our house on a hill just like you wanted. How about that?"

A breathy laugh slipped through Mikasa's trembling lips. They spread wide into a grin despite her falling tears. "With water below," she whispered out.

"With water below," he nodded, his fingers brushing her pale skin, "and a room for the kid."