Back To Skylar's Perspective

The next morning, I woke up feeling fresh, like a new person. Everything that had happened after Gray and I burned down the school raced through my head.

My heart ached slightly. I don't know why exactly. It wasn't a physical ache. It felt more emotional.

After some thinking, I got up and went to look for Miles. I was starting to wonder whether we were almost there or not. We weren't there yet, since the boat was still moving.

"Hey, Miles. Good morning." I greeted as I went to where he usually steered the boat.

He turned to look at me. Then he smiled and said, "Hi, Skylar. Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah," I replied. "Thanks. What about you? Did you not get any sleep?"

He seemed really energetic for someone who was steering a boat all night. He shook his head, saying "No. I'm fine though. We'll be there in about an hour I predict."

"Cool." I said, walking closer to stand next to him.

"What would be the first thing you do when you get back do you think?" Miles asked awkwardly after a moment of silence.

"Oh!" I exclaimed, thrown off by the sudden question. "Uhm, it depends. I kind of don't know. I'll see what I feel like doing when I get there. I'll definitely go and visit my mom."

"Good." He replied.

"You know," I began. "I still remember how shy and intimidated you where when I first met you. That image of you will never be removed from my mind!"

"Yeah. I can't believe that I almost forgot my name for a minute too. That's how shocked I was to see you. I must have been stuttering a lot, right?"

"You were." I confirmed, laughing quietly.

When I glanced over to Miles, he had looked away. There was an extremely flustered expression on his face that made him look cute. It made me smile.

I got out my phone and decided to call my mom. It felt unreal. I'd only been away from her for two or so days, with hatred towards her. Now, I was excited to see her again as a new person. That's how forgiveness works, I suppose.

I wonder how it will all go down. Will my life become better? Will it be the same as it always has been?

"Hello?" My mom's voice sounded unsure and intimidated.

"Mom! It's me, Skylar."

"Sky? Sky? Uh... Oh! Skylar? It's you." Now her voice began to sound tired.

"Mom, how are you?" I asked quickly.

"Me? I'm fine." She didn't sound sure.

"I'm coming home soon, and I'm bringing a friend too."

"I'm not at home. I'm at the little hospital. The one near the harbour."

"There? Ok then. I'll be there in less than an hour. I'll talk to you soon."

"Bye," She said in a sad tone.

"Bye." I then hung up.

As I put my phone back into my pocket, Miles spoke up. "There was something off about the way she was speaking. I don't know if you noticed."

"Hm? That's the most I've ever heard her speak, so I'm not really sure. Maybe I should be suspicious that she's speaking so much all of a sudden? Whatever you say, I guess."

From then, the rest of our journey continued in awkward silence.