Mom? Can't Be Her?

We spent a lot of the afternoon going around the town and meeting all of these people I didn't know. They've all probably remembered my name. But I can't remember any of theirs.

They smiled genuinely in a way that I never could. It was like they were happy with their simple lives in this small, isolated yet deeply connected town.

They also overwhelmed me with questions in an innocently curious way.

"How did you meet Gray?"
"What makes you want to come here?"
"Are you just visiting, or living?"
"Do you know (can't remember the names)?"
"What's your opinion of this place?"

I tried to smile back as I answered as honestly and kindly as possible.

"You know, I'd also like you to meet Winter Feather. He's a nice guy. I think you'd be great friends with him. You could also offer great inspiration for his next book."

"You think so?" I asked Gray.

"Yeah," Replied Gray. "Though, he's always so busy! I wish he'd take a break every now and then."

I nodded as we walked back to the boat.

My phone made a notification sound. I stopped to check it.

Mom replied : "I visited the local therapist today. Mia suggested it. It would be nice to see you when I get home."

My eyes went wide as I read the reply. This doesn't sound like my mom at all. It sounds more like someone stole her phone and is doing a bad impression of pretending to be her.

"Who is it? What did they say? Why do you look so shocked? " Gray asked as he tried to look over my shoulder.

"Nothing." I said before I could even think.

"It's clearly not nothing. It's had an effect on you."

I walked quicker, leaving Gray behind. Frustration began to slowly build in me. I disnt need it to spill out.

"Skylar, are you ok?" He asked with concern.

"I'm ok. How about you?"

He laughed before saying "I'm just as ok as you are."

"Doesn't sound convincing." I said.

"Neither did you."

Soon, we reached the boat, were Miles was. He was sitting on the ground outside, leaning against the boat with his eyes shut. He seemed to be tired.

"Miles? You ok?" I asked as I approached.

His eyes remained shut as he answered. "Just need some rest. Skylar, you ought to rest too."

"Ok."

"Gray, go and bring some food for us please?" Miles suggested.

"Sure! I'm on it." And he turned around and ran off.

"Skylar sit next to me please, if that's ok with you."

"Sure," So I sat down on the ground next to him.

I considered telling Miles about the messages from my mom. I went for it.

"That's nice. Can you show me the messages?"

I showed him them and he read them. "I knew she'd want to have you around. I did tell you. Well... What are thinking? You want to go back?"

"I guess. I want to give her another chance. She is my mom after all."

"You know, she seems like one of those people who struggle with understanding people and conveying how they truly feel." He added.

"Yeah. I see what you're saying."

"I think it's great that she's reaching out for help from therapy. She's not a lost cause. You can save her."

"Mhm. Should we discuss this with Gray when he comes back?"

"Sure. For now though, I seriously have rest that I need to catch-up on." He admitted as he closed his eyes again and leaned more against the boat.

I decided to do the same. Rest.