Psychopath

Miles spent the afternoon showing me around. This place was quite big and the scenery was very beautiful too. There was nature everywhere. It reminded me of home.

"Now," Miles began. He had finished showing me around. We were now standing by the boat. "Let me explain."

"Go on." I said.

He lowered his voice and stepped a bit closer. "Gray isn't the kind of guy you should be friends with. He's a psychopath. I'm serious. You may not believe me right now, but trust me please. He'll ruin your life bit by bit like how he did to me and a few others."

Now I was confused on who to trust. Gray told me I could trust him. I've known him longer than I've known Miles. Now Miles tells me I can't trust Gray. But he tells me to trust him.

"He's my cousin. I've got a responsibility to look after him. Yet, looking after him is torture. You wouldn't know." He continued. "I heard you've got a mother who ignores you all the time. Gray told me."

"Yeah." I said. "Honestly, I've tried to start a conversation with her multiple times, but she pushes me away each time. I don't know why it's like this. And I don't know how to fix this either."

"Clearly she's suffering." Miles stated. "Pulling away from her won't help. You honestly ought to go back and do everything you can to help her. Even if she doesn't talk to you, the least you can do is be there for her."

"And do you think that's my responsibility to take care of her? Like how you think it's your responsibility to look after Gray?" I questioned.

"Partially." He answered. "It's your choice though. Whether you want to stay here with Gray and I, or whether you wish to return with your mother."

"I really don't know any more."

"Then give this place a try. See if it's any better than your old town." He suggested.

"Sure," I agreed. "Though, can you tell me more about Gray first? What makes him a 'psycopath' like you said?"

He shivered. It took him a moment, but he responded. "The way he reads people is terrifying. He can tell the slightest things about people, and it'll make you think he can read your mind."

"Oh, yeah. I noticed that too."

"Hmm. I bet by the time he comes back, he'll take one look at both of us and he'll know roughly what we were talking about."

"Damn, that's actually kind of creepy."

"Yeah, it really is."

"Anything else?" I asked.

"He knows how to torture people without physically hurting them. He has this mental and psychological thing about him. It's easy for him to figure out peoples weaknesses and fears. He's used it against me many times." He flinched again.

"Oh?" I asked.

"Some of the stuff he's said to me has left a deep, permanent scar in me. Though, he won't say anything like that unless you give him a reason to."

"And what did you do?" I asked.

"Didn't listen to him."

The timing of it was frightening. Just then, a voice from the distance behind us called out, "I'm back. I know it's earlier than usual, but whatever."

It was Gray.

We both turned around, trying to keep our faces neutral to not reveal that we were just talking about him. "Hey." We both said at the same time.