Chapter 32 - Shattered

When I woke, Elatha was dressed in his skinsuit and armour, holding my naked body in his arms as we floated in the water

"Any sign of the Wild Hunt?" I asked. I knew why he was dressed and alert.

"No, but I'll be glad to get moving again. How do you feel?" He inquired, smiling down at me.

"Well satiated," I teased.

Silver eyes glinted. "My pleasure, Princess, I assure you."

I laughed and was just readying myself to get up when a blur dropped from the sky and landed on the beach.

I froze, my heart pounding.

"Loki?" My voice came out trembling, overwhelmed at his sudden appearance. Elatha had paused from moving in front of me.

Loki stood not even five metres away.

He was real. Not a figment of my imagination.

It took me a second to realize Loki's eyes were wide, shocked, and glassy. Before I could do more than reach out towards him, Loki was gone.

"NO!" I screamed, launching myself to where he'd stood.

Mist descended from the sky, then Thor. A panting Thjalfi ran to stand on the beach.

Eyes streaming with tears, I fell to my knees, sobbing.

Elatha lifted me gently into his arms, and I cried harder.

"What the hell is your brother playing at? Shannon came within a shell's width of killing herself trying to get back to him, and he takes one look at her and bails? What kind of idiot does that?" Elatha shouted.

Thor shouted back, their words piling on each other's.

Pushing away from Elatha, I screamed, "Shut up all of you!"

I stood, shaking, breath heaving, and Mist came over to me carefully.

"Shannon?"

Tears were pouring in such a constant stream I could barely see her through the blurry mess.

"Yeah?" I managed.

"Why do you have no clothes, honey?" Mist's tone was gentle, a calm contrast to the snarling between Thor and Elatha.

Confused, I looked down and realized I was naked. With a shrug, I called fighting leathers and armour into place.

"Forgot," I said wetly, as another sob caught in my throat.

Mist pulled me into her arms and held me as I cried.

"He left me. Why?" I asked, my head on her shoulder. "Why did he leave me?"

"Oh honey, I don't know. Men are idiots?" 

A weepy laugh turned into another sob.

Thor came over and put a careful hand on my back.