Chapter 22 - Depths of Diplomacy

"Is this normal when you visit?" I asked Manannan as Mist and I explored the rooms

"Yes, it's not usually too long before I'm called. But it will still be plenty of time for us to clean up and have a meal."

Manannan showed us the bathroom and kitchen, particularly the prepared meals we could call up on a control pad.

"That sounds lovely, but I'm calling first shower!" Mist said as she headed for the bathroom.

"Right. Well, I'm going to have a good meal. Raw fish is all very well as a dolphin, but after a while, I need more variety." I browsed the options. "Got any favourites?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm partial to the shrimp pasta primavera. It's lovely," Manannan recommended.

"That sounds great. Two?"

"Please. And a light ale as well."

"Now you are talking!" I selected both and was impressed the order was ready within five minutes. Distracted by the speed, I wondered if they had a form of energy-matter conversion technology similar to my conjuration. However they did it, it was impressive.

Manannan took the plates while I carried the ales to a table by a large window that provided a view out on a green space. Quickly digging in, I couldn't believe how hungry I was. Within minutes, it was gone.

"Wow, that was great," I said as Mist joined us.

"Huh! I wasn't even very long and you're already done?" She looked at my empty plate and Manannan's almost empty plate as he took his last few bites. "What'd you have? It looks good."

"Shrimp pasta primavera and the light ale. Highly recommended," I said. 

Thinking about what Shannon would do with these kinds of options made me smile. When I'd been there at mealtime, I'd conjured her whatever she was craving, but she'd love this. Guilt at my frequent absences to Midgard for my acting had me shifting uncomfortably. Why hadn't I appreciated the time with her more? 

A vision of her emaciated form, so thin in comparison to her prepregnancy curves, had me rubbing my sternum against a sudden tightness in my chest. It made me remember what those bloody dwarves had been feeding her, and I wondered what she was doing for food now. It worried me.

"Damn, what a selection! Can you imagine what Shannon would do with this?" Mist said.

"I was just thinking that," I replied, trying to not focus on my worry.

"Has she been having lots of pregnancy cravings?" Manannan asked with an amused smirk.

Mist came back into the room carrying her plate and mug of ale. "Pickles. She was eating lots of pickles. Not in weird combinations, like pickles and ice cream or anything. Just lots of snacking on pickles."

A small laugh escaped me. "Yeah, but also, chocolate. The only way I could get her to drink any dairy was to add chocolate. So many chocolate milkshakes I made for her."