Chapter 11 - Trials

The sun was just over the horizon when we left the sparse stone hut

The sun was just over the horizon when we left the sparse stone hut. Steadily climbing the mountain, it took another four hours before we reached the gates to Thrymheim. The stronghold had been built where a river came off a glacier and pooled before draining over a massive waterfall. Built into the mountainside, it wasn't particularly easy to see as it blended in with the surrounding stone. The location gave the stronghold the strategic advantage of steep cliffs at its back and again at its front and right sides, as well as a ready source of water for the inhabitants.

Hulking guards, camouflaged against the granite mountainside until they stepped away from the stronghold gate, escorted us to Thiazi, Lord of Thrymheim, and mountain giants dwelling within its protection. He was in his great hall, eating an early lunch, when we arrived.

"Prince Thor, Prince Loki, to what purpose do you come to Thrymheim?" he demanded in his deep, gravelly voice. Like most Bergrisar, he was on the shorter side for a giant but extremely heavyset. His dark hair and penetrating black eyes were a striking contrast to silver, almost translucent marbled skin that resembled the stone of his home.

"Good Lord Thiazi, we are seeking the giant Suttung. We understand he is one of your Bergrisar and so come to ask for your assistance in locating him," I replied in my best diplomatic tone.

"I may or may not have a giant of that name in my region. What is your purpose for finding Suttung?" Thiazi's eyes narrowed.

"Suttung may have information to help locate my consort, Princess Shannon. She was kidnapped just over a month ago," I answered.

His eyes widened in surprise and he thumped the table in front of him with a palm. "Some idiot was bold enough to kidnap a Princess of Asgard? Do you suspect Suttung?"

Clearly, the news hadn't yet reached this part of Jotunheim. I needed to proceed carefully and without giving away too much information. But I knew Thiazi was our best chance of finding Suttung quickly.

"No, Lord Thiazi. We have the initial perpetrators in the dungeons of Asgard where they will regret that decision for the rest of their lives. However, Princess Shannon was taken from the kidnappers by unknown individuals. Suttung has been boasting of a source of unusual divine mead he has acquired. We want to know his source, as we believe they may be the secondary kidnappers," I explained. I wasn't about to tell him that if Suttung had the mead, kidnapper or not, he was dead.

"I have heard of the claims Suttung has made," Thiazi answered thoughtfully, and he took a bite of food, chewing slowly.

He was quiet for a few minutes, continuing to eat while staring off with an unfocused gaze, and I started to wonder if he was going to reply when he finally spoke again. "I don't want to stand in the way of your quest or fight with Asgard. However, I cannot be seen giving up information on one of my giants. You will have to win the knowledge by competing in three trials. After each successful win, I will give you one of the three clues you will need to find Suttung. If you fail to win one of the trials, you will not get that clue."