Chapter 30 - Unexpected Assist

Familiar with the disorientation of the bifrost, I caught us in mid-air when the lights dissipated and we were left falling from one hundred metres up

Familiar with the disorientation of the bifrost, I caught us in mid-air when the lights dissipated and we were left falling from one hundred metres up. The five red caps swept up with us weren't so lucky, plummeting down to hit the ground in a messy, near fatal impact.

After bringing us down, we quickly cut the heads off the injured and groaning red caps before they recovered.

"What was that?" asked Elatha, confused.

"It was like the bifrost, but since we aren't in Asgard, it wasn't the actual bifrost." I didn't know what had happened either.

The water was strangely calm, with only gently lapping waves on the pebbled beach, and we seemed to still be on the same shoreline. The dark twilight sky marked this as part of the Winter Realm, but the increased light on the horizon suggested we were definitely closer to the Summer Realm than we'd been.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say we teleported using bifrost energy?" Although it sounded weird, I couldn't think of anything else to explain our new location.

"Do you have the ability to teleport? Because I sure don't," Elatha said.

"No, not that I'm aware of. I'd expect Loki would have figured that out when we were determining the extent of my powers."

"Loki can teleport?" 

"Yeah. Not vast distances, but yes, a few kilometres at least."

Elatha looked down at my pregnant belly, his eyebrows raised in speculation.

I looked down too before I understood what he was wondering.

"You think my son teleported us?" The idea was shocking.

"Someone did, and it wasn't you or me, so that leaves him." 

"An unborn baby can use powers? Is that normal?" My voice squeaked.

"Not for Fomorians, that's for sure. But answer this, how strong are Loki's abilities?"

"Pretty damn strong. He's the strongest sorcerer in Asgard."

"Okay, and how strong are your powers?"

"I don't know any other Tuatha de Danann. I've only met a couple and not really seen the extent of their magic."

"Compare yourself to Asgardians, then. How strong are you?"

"Pretty damn strong. Not as strong as Loki, but not far behind, I'd guess."

"So I'd expect your son to be powerful as well. At this point, he'd use his magic instinctively. He sensed you were in danger and got you out of there."

I rubbed my belly. "I'm following your logic and can't fault it. Or come up with a reasonable alternative. Damn. How will I keep up with a child that can teleport?" My pulse picked up as I thought about the implications. Holy crap. I'm having a hard time protecting him now. What the hell am I going to do if he can teleport all over the place?