Chapter 10 - Position on the Food Chain

Casting a ball of light above us to guide the way, I started walking between the trees

Casting a ball of light above us to guide the way, I started walking between the trees. The others spread out, moving as quietly as possible.

There was no actual path through the forest, but we needed to head uphill. If we could get through the foothills of the mountains covered by Skogsdunge forest, we would be above the tree line. At that point, we'd be able to pick up the trail to Thrymheim.

The deep, harsh hoots of a snowy owl echoed from the left, with another replying from farther away. Dry snow crunched under our boots and Thor winced as a twig snapped under his feet. We weren't as silent as I would like, although Mist, Ros, and I left no footprints or sounds of our passing. Giants weren't the only predators in this realm. Indeed, they weren't even the most dangerous inhabitants of Jotunheim.

Thjalfi scouted ahead, using his speed to look for the best route through the forest and keeping an eye out for danger. On his way back to us, he flushed several rabbits that were startled by his passing. A flash of wings and the panicked squeak abruptly cut-off. The owls would eat well tonight.

"There is a large, steep ravine ahead. It'd be better to go around than to climb down and up the far side. If we got pinned in there, we'd be sitting ducks," he told us. "We should veer north to get around it."

As we shifted direction to avoid the upcoming obstacle, the deep resonant howl of a wolf echoed up ahead.

"Damn. Was that a dire wolf or one of the smaller timber wolves?" Kara murmured.

"I don't know—" 

My words cut off as another echoing howl pierced the air. This time, from the direction Thjalfi had just scouted. 

"Dire wolves," I confirmed. "It's too deep for the timber wolves."

"I didn't see any wolves," Thjalfi said, eyes wide and alert.

From behind us, back along our trail, another spine-tingling howl resonated through the trees. It was even closer.

"They've surrounded us," Mist said. "We need to run or fight."

"Have you seen the size of dire wolves? They are huge, clever, and resistant to magical attacks." I shook my head at the idea of fighting them. With Laevateinn, I'd be fine, and Thor had Mjolnir, but the others wouldn't be able to fight them, especially if they surrounded us in large numbers. "Even the Bergrisar avoid tangling with them. It's why the mountain giants build above the tree line instead of down here in the forest. A pack can take down the polar bears and woolly mammoths in this part of Jotunheim. We do not want to fight them."

The howls were getting closer.

Thor started swinging Mjolnir. "Kara? Do you want to fly with me? Or risk running with Thjalfi?"

"Gods-damn it. I hate flying with you. Don't drop me," she said as she grabbed him.

I shifted to a raven, flying up into the air, circling as I waited for the others to join me. Mist and Ros flew up beside me, buoyed on air and a wave of dirt, respectively.

TAKEN (#2, Gods Among Us)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara