Chapter 6 - Prisoners

Dragging my hand through my hair, I paced the stables, waiting for word that we were leaving for Alfheim

Dragging my hand through my hair, I paced the stables, waiting for word that we were leaving for Alfheim. My stallion, Hulda, was saddled and ready, but I had too much energy to sit. Thor was outside on his stallion, Magni, talking to the Valkyrie with their winged steeds.

We'd given the Sidhe their day to get Shannon back to us. They were giving us excuses. Yeah, I was fucking done with excuses and done with waiting. By Yggdrasil's gnarliest bloody bark, I wanted Shannon back now. Politics be damned. My fists clenched. If I had to kill every single one of them myself, I'd get Shannon back. Losing her the way I'd lost Sigyn was not an option.

Kara entered the stables, a limp in her stride given away by the extra wobble of her red curls piled up into a top ponytail. She wasn't willing to wait the extra day the healers wanted, but I wouldn't order her to stay behind. As the Goddess of Unpredictability and Battle Strategy, she was a formidable warrior, even with a limp. Besides, her loyalty to Shannon meant she'd just follow if we tried to forbid her. I'd not deny her this.

"We are ready, my prince. The All-Father has given Thor the go-ahead to proceed," she called out.

"Finally!" I leapt up on Hulda and followed Kara out of the stable. She mounted her flying horse, a palomino she'd named Sigrun.

"To the bifrost!" boomed Thor, pointing Mjolnir towards the rainbow bridge.

We rode swiftly across, several legions of Einherjar behind us with the Valkyrie in the air above us.

When Heimdall activated a wide beam of the bifrost, the swirling light swept us to Alfheim. We appeared on the treaty plains that bordered the land between the eternally bright Summer Realm and the dark, gloomy Winter Realm. The angle and odd perpendicular spin of the planet meant only one side ever fully faced the star that provided its light to Alfheim, although the three moons reflected a small amount on to the Winter Realm.

Sigrdrífa and Thjalfi met us with the message that representatives of both Sidhe courts were on their way.

Ambassador Ogma appeared first out of the mists from the Summer Realm. Walking up to where Thor and I waited astride our steeds, he bowed deeply upon reaching us.

"Prince Thor, Prince Loki, King Nuada and Queen Aine of the Seelie Summer Realm bid you welcome. With the assistance and agreement of King Cernunnos and Queen Mene of the Unseelie Winter Realm, they have captured Llew and Crom and will turn the oath-breakers over to you for Asgardian justice."

Shifting in my seat, my hands tightened on the reins. "Where is Princess Shannon?" I ground out, unable to keep the violence of my anger from my tone.

The ambassador hesitated, swallowed, and then blurted. "Although there were several witnesses who agree Princess Shannon was brought to the Winter Realm, she seems to have gone missing. Despite sending out search parties, they can't find her. It is possible she escaped, but none have yet been able to locate her."