16 | Love of first light

ZAYAAN

I walk towards the dinner table where Qulsum's parents were having breakfast.

"Zayaan come and have breakfast with us." Neil Irani said right after I greeted him and Mrs. Irani

"No, I actually came here with some news —" I trail off while my eyes rambled the surrounding searching for her.

"Come sit Zayaan. Qulsum is in the kitchen." Mrs. Irani sent me a soft smile and gestured me to sit and have breakfast with them.

After a second or two I hear tingling of anklets sound making my head snap in the direction of the sound.

Qulsum was wearing bottle green long dress and instead of scarf she had a veil placed on her head which still securely hid her hair. Her steps slowed down when she saw me while I kept peering at her awestruck. She looked breath-taking beautiful today. Her face had a unique glow which made her look heavenly. Her beautiful brown eyes no longer looked dull and lost instead they had an unusual gleam making my heart race. A tint of pink blush had creeped all over her cheekbones.

"What news do you have Zayaan?" Neil Irani asked breaking my reverie of thoughts.

Clearing my throat, I turn to face him. "We have found the car number and once the detail of the car comes out, we will be able to track Shiza." I announced while my eyes kept drifting back to the figure in green dress.

"Shukr Allah ka [Thank God]. Forward those details to me, I will also ask my search team to work on it." Neil Irani said while Mrs. Irani already had tears rolling down her cheek.

Qulsum ambled towards my side and poured rice in my plate.

The breakfast went silently with me and Neil Irani conversing. Qulsum had not once raised her head and looked at me. I used to glance at her every now and then only to find her playing with the spoon.

♡♡

"I need to send the details of the car to my team. I will come in a while..." Neil Irani said and stood up, he gestured Mrs. Irani to follow him leaving me alone with Qulsum.

Right after they walked out of Hall Qulsum sprinted into kitchen. I huff raking finger through my hair.

How do I start conversation?

I sauntered towards kitchen and leaned against the door peering at her. She pivoted her gaze in my direction for a second and then continued to do her work completely ignoring my presence.

I cleared my throat making her look at me. Batting her eyelids, she poured water into glass and placed it on the counter.

Seriously?

Sighing I amble towards her while she played with her veil, her eyes lowered. I stand right in front of her with one of my hands resting on the counter very close to her waist.

"Qulsum" I whisper, she gradually raised her eyelids and looked at me with tearful eyes. My heart crammed with agony. "I am sorry... I was so lost in investigation yesterday that I —" before I could complete my sentence Qulsum interrupted.

"You don't have to explain. Finding Shiza is most important thing right now. I know it's very difficult for you, I have seen how much you love Shiza..." She raised her left hand and tucked the veil behind her ear.

My eyes followed her action and found my diamond ring adorning her finger. My heart swelled with pride and happiness.

Qulsum angled her head to look at her hand where my gaze was jammed.

"And you don't have to give me Shiza's gifts..." She muttered and raised her other hand to remove the ring but before she could I grasped her wrist and tugged it towards my chest. Qulsum jerked towards me with force, almost losing her balance. One of her hands landed on my chest while the other was interlaced with mine.

Electric sparkles jolted all through my veins just by her fragile touch. I was spell bounded by her nectarine jasmine fragrance.

A low gasp escaped her lips while she hurriedly dropped her hand from my chest. Heaving her eyelids she peered at me, "I don't want Shiza's gifts." She uttered twisting her arm and struggling to free her other hand from my hold. "And leave me."

Instead of leaving her I place my other hand on the counter caging her between me and counter.

"Qulsum stop." my voice was loud and clear. She jumped slightly and stopped struggling whilst lowering her eyes.

Sighing I cursed under my breath. I took one step closer to her, our feet were almost touching. Qulsum's back was pressed against the counter. Holding her chin with my index finger and thumb I lifted her chin. Our faces were only inches apart, I let my eyes ramble over all her perfectly sculptured features.

Her complexion had an impeccable glimmer. Her pencil-thin eyebrows looked down on her sweeping long eyelashes. Her heart shaped lips looked honeyed and glossy. It felt like love at first light. She was looking delightful.

Her silky, long and moist eyelids which were casting a shadow on cheekbones were closed. "Qulsum," I called again, this time gently making her heave her wet eyelids and peer at me. I found myself losing in her deep mesmerizing brown eyes which were innocent like a child.

"I bought this ring yesterday just for you..." I confess while her languid eyelashes of velvet-black blinked once slowly. She dipped her teeth in her soft and plump lower lip completely distracting me.

Clearing my throat, I drop my hand from her chin and place it back on the counter next to her waist.

"Can I ask you something?" I ask lifting her henna adorned hand and caressing it with my thumb.

Gulping visibly, she nodded.

"Do you love someone? You suddenly got married to me, I just wanted to ask if you had someone in your life?"

"No..." She whispered and a relief washed over my body. So, the 'Z' engraved on her hand is not any guy's initial. As much I wanted to ask her about it, I let it go for now.

"Qulsum," I start making her snap her head a little higher and gaze at me. "I know we were not supposed to marry each other but no one change what happened yesterday. I know you didn't want to get married to me; you did this only for Shiza. I'll find Shiza and then whatever decision we take regarding our relationship will be our collective decision. I just want you to know that -" I pause staring at her orbs. Leisurely I lift her hand higher and place a soft kiss on her knuckles.

She inhaled deeply and held her breath while her other hand firmly fisted her veil.

"I will never take a sacred bond like marriage lightly. I respect you and our relationship. I will try to make this work unless you want something else..." saying this I relaxed my grip on her hand. She stepped away from me, a flush creeping her cheekbones and neck.

"We will talk after you find Shiza..." she said with a dulcet voice as sweet as any songbird and sprinted away while my heart was thumping against my ribcage.

❤...