Chapter 15: The snake will always bite back

Start from the beginning

It had been quite a while since you draw anything, not having the time to take anything down since your cavern home got destroyed by the Skulkin. The main reason you drew down scenery again was that you wanted to show your sensei all the places you've been to in search of him, not wanting him to miss out on any part of your life. Plus, it would serve as a way to satisfy his curiosity so that he wouldn't choose to leave you again to travel through the world.

"What are you doing?" the curious voice of Lloyd piped up, turning your attention to him as you paused in the middle of a stroke.

"I'm drawing," you answered, "This one's of the setting sun over the dunes," Showing the boy your artwork you changed the topic from you to him. "What about you? What do you want to do with the parchment you stole from the Hypnobrai?"

Tensing up at the mention of the scroll he took, the child sighed as he almost shyly pulled out the scroll from within his robes. "Wow... so you noticed, huh? You're pretty good at keeping a secret, (y/n). I thought I had gotten away with it!"

"Well, you still have," you reply, "It's not as if I'm about to make you return it."

"You're not?" he asked, looking up at you and then back at the sheet in his hands, "I thought you were against stealing and were a goody-two-shoes?"

"I have my reasons for doing things," you remark, turning your attention from your illustration to the kid by your side. "Besides, I'm your second in command, no? What kind of second in command would I be if I betrayed my general?" you smile, referring back to the role you were supposed to be pretending to fill. Pausing for a moment, you added "Well, I'd be a Skales kind of second in command, but I'm not trying to be like him."

Throwing himself at you, Lloyd wrapped his arms around your waist, making you flinch out of surprise, your reaction going unnoticed by the child. "Thank you, (y/n)... If you weren't by my side, I wouldn't know what to do..."

"I'm sure you would have found a way," you reply, almost hesitantly patting the boy on the head, "Which reminds me, where are we going again?"

"Well, I was following the map," your human companion responded, gesturing to the parchment that was still rolled up in his hand, "I'm gonna make the Hypnobrai pay for betraying me by finding the Fangpyre. If there's anything a snake doesn't like, it's another snake!"

"How about we drive there?" you suggest, pulling out the keys to your camper van that you had left back in Jamanakai Village, "It's faster and much more comfortable that way. Besides, I'd hate for my things to get stolen while we're out here enacting revenge."

Turning to head back to the snowy terrain that the town was settled on, Lloyd paused in his tracks as he glanced over behind him. Seeing his hesitation, you looked in the direction he was staring at, only to catch sight of a giant ship with a dragon figurehead nestled in the sand. The sound of laughter echoed through the otherwise silent desert as the scent of freshly cooked food wafted through the air.

"...Do you... want to join them?" you inquire, watching over the boy as he almost reluctantly tore himself away from the scene in front of him, making you frown slightly.

"No... I don't want to be with the stupid Ninja! As long as I have you by my side, I don't care where we go!" the child insisted, stomping in the opposite direction as you looked on, making sure he doesn't hurt himself.

"I can teleport to my van, you know," you offhandedly commented, watching the kid trample back over to you.

"I- I knew that!" he huffed with his arms crossed, his aura and face a soft rose-red from embarrassment, "Well, what are we waiting for?! Let's go!"