Chapter Thirty-Three

Start from the beginning

"If you are asking if I would betray your family, Mr. King, the answer is no. My loyalties lie with whoever I work for at that time. I have no connection to a Mafia, I merely work as a bodyguard but I assure you, I do everything in my power to protect those I am assigned to" Aurora let out the breath she was holding at Synns response. He managed to still sound calm and gave a firm and promising reply. He stared at Levi, who stared at him back. Levi wasn't expecting such a strong reply, quite frankly. He didn't beat around the bush with Levi. Now, that may be because he was too anxious right now to care about what he just said, or the fact that he simply did not respect Levi in the same way that all Mafia members usually did.

Levi was struggling, he hoped that he could intimidate him and let him fuck up his chance on his own so he could convince the others it wasn't a good idea, but now he himself was starting to become convinced. He was worrying what he was going to do about his recent deal with the Crudes.

"Who's ready for dessert?!" Aurora stood up, a wide smile on her face. Both Levi and Synn cut their stare to look at the joyful girl. Levi shot his eyes back to Synn, half expecting his eyes to rake his little sisters body, but they only remained on her face. Atlas and Axel watched this too, and gave eachother a look also. Aurora pushed back from the table and began making her way inside.

"Mr. Parker, why don't you help her" Levi said, gesturing towards Auroras retreating figure. She turned around and looked at Levi, slightly shocked. He raised an eyebrow at her and gave her a look, silently asking if it was okay, to which she simply nodded. As this went on, Synn looked at Alaric for confirmation, wondering if it were a trick. Alaric was also surprised by this but could see not bad intentions behind it so he subtly gestured to Aurora with his head. Synn stood up and nodded at Levi, making his way towards Aurora.

Once they got into the kitchen and out of sight of the windows, Aurora grabbed Synns hand.

"Are you okay? Do you need to calm down first?" She asked hastily, eyes frantically scanning his face for some sort of indication at to how he was feeling. Synn was slightly taken back by her concern for his well being, not that she hasn't been before, but he was expecting her to adress the current situation first. When he didn't reply, Aurora placed her hand over his heart on his chest. She gasped dramatically.

"Sunshine, that's beating a million times per minute" She said worriedly. Synn grabbed her hand from his chest and dropped it down between them.

"Yeah, that's because you're standing very close to me" Synn said quietly through dlightly gritted teeth. Aurora looked up at him through her eye lashes, her mouth forming an 'o'. She went to step back away from him, but he stopped her by wrapping an arm around her waist, causing her to giggle.

"Ya know, you should use yourself as inspirationfor that english essay, like, your confidence out there is so fucking hot. Like, you can be all broody and bossy to me but its really sexy when you're an asshole to my brother. Like, hot damn! Did someone say daddy? Oh yeah, I did. Daddy!" Aurora rambled fanning herself with her hand. Synn placed his hand over her mouth as she got louder and louder while she continued to speak. He blushed slightly at her words, and realised another reason why he chose to wear a hood instead of makeup. He lifted his head, looking away from her in hopes she wouldn't see his crimson cheeks. But of course she did.

Aurora stepped away from Synn. She walked toward ethe fridge and took out a beautifully made tiramisu. She handed it to Synn while she grabbed a bottle of Baileys off the counter, set out earlier especially for dessert, and handed that to him too. She stood in front of him. Synn caught her looking at his cheeks. A cheeky grin was creeping on her lips, but Synn shot her a warning look before she could open her mouth. Her smile dropped and she rolled her eyes.

"You have a lot of explaining to do, but just focus on getting through the evening. We need to get back before they question it, but if you ever need a breather just excuse yourself to the bathroom and I'll try make sure you're okay" Aurora said sincerely. Synn looked down at her wordlessly. He could only nod in response. Aurora then smiled and mad ever way towards the garden, Synn following behind.

"You weren't long about putting him to work anyway, were ya?" Axel snorted, watching as Aurora sauntered in with Synn in tow, carrying both the dessert and the Baileys.

"I know, and he didn't complain once! You should take a few tips from him" Aurora responded, sitting down in her seat. Axel rolled his eyes. He looked towards Synn with a smile and raised a brow. Synn merely shrugged, setting the dessert down in the middle of the table. Levi looked at Aurora, making sure there wasn't a scratch on her, but the smile on her face already told him that she was okay. Alarics words in his head, her happiness was the main thing. She looked happy.

They ate dessert peacefully. Every now and then one of the lads would throw a question at Synn, but he was able to answer them all with ease. He now felt as at ease as he portrayed with his conversation with Aurora from earlier still fresh in his mind. Aurora noticed this and she couldn't help but feel proud of him. All of her brothers grew fond of him, oddly enough. He was still awfully brooding, but it was better than desperation. They had yet to see him laugh, however, the most they got was a tilt of the lip, but it sufficed for now.

The dinner eventually came to an end and while the rest of the siblings tidied up the table, Levi offered to walk Synn out. Aurora gave Synn two thumbs up as he glanced at her, a huge grin in her face. Synn had to resist smiling back at the girl.

"Thank you for joining us for dinner on such short notice" Levi said as he and Synn walked through the white halls.

"Thank you for having me" Synn replied. Once they stoodbin front of the door, Levi paused. Synn copied his actions and looked at him.

"I understand that you are used to putting your life in the line, but my family has had a target on our back for years, especially Aurora. Alaric propesed this idea to me so I can loosen the mountain of security I already have watching her. Can I trust you enough to do that Mr. Parker?" Levi spoke slow and firm. He stared right into Synns eyes. Synn remained silent, processing his words. It was odd to be responsible for saving someone's life rather than taking it. But it wasn't just anyones life, it was Aurora's. That made it feel less like a responsibility. It almost felt like a purpose. When Alaric first suggested this to him, he was repulsed by the idea. Now, he didn't trust her life in the hands of anyone else, no matter how many the men.

"I give you my word that not a scratch would taint her skin as long as she is under my protection" Synn promised. And he meant it. Levi could see that too. He nodded his once, in respect. He finally pulled open the door and Synn stepped through.

"Come by tomorrow, we shall discuss further details" Levi told him. Synn nodded and simply walked away. Levi watched him for a moment until he closed the door, laughing slightly as he did so. He couldn't believe what he just done. Auroras happiness better be fucking worth it or he was going to kill Alaric.

As Synn walked down the long driveway, he was smitten with himself. Suddenly, he felt his phone buss in his pocket. He frowned at having to try and operate this thing as he fumbled with it in his pocket. He pulled it out and looked down to see he had a text from Aurora herself.

'You're not going anywhere Sunshine, you have a shit load of explaining to do.'