A Second Home

Lucia's POV

The beeping was all Lucia could hear. She slapped the alarm and turned over, ignoring the machine as it sat in silence. She was put to sleep by the familiar ticking of her clock... a clock she threw away years ago.

Snapping awake Lucia smacked her head on the ceiling as she shot upwards. Groaning, she fell back onto her bed, turning her head and saw a familiar room. Filled with posters, trophies, scattered clothing and

"Lucia! Wake up!" A voice cut into her thoughts, a familiar husky voice. "Lucia!" The man yelled again, his voice closer. There was knocking on the door, a pause then more knocking.

Lucia slowly crept out of bed, sliding down the ladder for her bunk bed and looked around her room. Her eyes fell to the desk sitting beside the door, Lucia took a deep breath before moving forwards. Stepping over her abandoned sketchbook, Lucia reached for her red baseball bat, the crimson weapon leaned against the desk, in its comfortable spot. The door creaked as her hands closed around her bat, then as it swung open Lucia took a swing.

Her bat came to a stop inches from the man's head, his eyes wide with shock. Lucia felt her fingers trembling as her knuckles turned white.

Then the tears began to fall from Lucia's face, the bat slipping from her fingers and falling to the ground with a crash.

"Dad?"

The words barely came out, sentences caught in the back of Lucia's throat. The man broke the distance, pulling Lucia into a tight hug. He buried Lucia in his embrace, with shaking hands Lucia hugged back. Gripping the back of his shirt in case he disappeared from her arms.

"Lucia?!" A voice called out in concern, footsteps echoed from the hallway. "Are you two okay?" The owner of the voice appeared behind the man.

Lucia peered over her father's shoulder and made eye contact.

"Mom?"

Lucia's legs trembled, she pulled away from her dad and struggled towards her mom. Collapsing right in front of her.

Instantly both parents crouched down to their daughter,

"Lucia? Are you okay?" Her mom's soft, familiar voice echoed in her ears.

Words were caught in Lucia's throat, a large lump forming in her throat. More footsteps echoed from the hallway and stopped at her door.

"Lucia?"

More tears began to spill out of Lucia's eyes, she turned her head towards the new voice, first were the funny animal socks, then the leggings and jean shorts. Lucia smiled when she saw the cat hoodie she made in Home EC, her eyes stopped at the face. A face that had logg gone fuzzy in her memory.

Finding new strength, Lucia shot forward and tackled hugged the girl. Taking them both to the floor with a crash. The girl grabbed the back of Lucia's shirt, gripping it tightly as she also began to cry.

"I thought I died!" The child wailed.

Lucia said nothing, she just held her sister. Refusing to let go of Luz.

"Uhm girls..." The sisters looked over to the man, he scratched the back of his neck in confusion. "Breakfast?"

The world faded away, the bright flash of white overtook Lucia's vision.

Many days later, something felt off...

It was the day of Lucia's final softball game, scouts from across the country were coming to watch her team. If she won the game, she could get a full ride to her top choice school. Waves of anxiety and fear washed in and out of her, excited for her future Lucia's eyes were drawn to her sister. Lucia would be leaving for College soon and she worried for her sister as her sister struggled to lift a huge plate of pancakes.

"Damn weak nerd arms." Luz complained as Lucia took the plate from her hands and sat down.

"I spent five years working out just to die and lose all my fucking gains."

"Luz!" Their mother gasped in shock, her eyes wide with horror. "Watch your language!"

Lucia looked away, taking an inconspicuous sip from her milk cup. She needed strong bones for her upcoming day.

"Yeah! Who the FUCK taught you to speak like that! And in front of your mom, God didn't we teach you any fucking manners?!" Their dad finished his speech by taking a swig from his coffee cup.

"Lucas!!" Camilia exclaimed in shock. "Don't swear in front of our fucking kids!"

Lucia laughed, coughing up the milk she had tried to swallow. She smiled at the nostalgic feeling... Why was this nostalgic? Her everyday life is like this. Sitting at the breakfast table before school, with her mom, dad and sister.

But then Lucia blinked, something Luz had just said had bothered her. "Luz..."

Her sister looked up from her bacon, mouth agape as she tried to eat an entire strip in one bite. "Mrmmmph?"

Her parents continued their playful banter, throwing light hearted insults and drinking from their matching coffee cups.

"Did you say you died?"

Everyone at the table stopped.

Luz swallowed her bacon and frowned. "No? Where did you hear that?"

"Just now, you said you worked out for years only to die and lose your progress."

Luz's eyes grew wide. She stood up suddenly, her chair falling behind her with a crash.

"What year is it?" Luz's head snapped towards her mother, she moved around the table and crouched in front of Camilia. "Mom?"

Camilia looked away, not meeting the eyes of her daughter. An eerie silence took over the house. Lucia watched the exchange as memories started to creep into her mind.

"Camilia, it's time." Their father spoke, his husky voice echoing in the empty room. He smiled sadly as he took another sip of his coffee.

"No! I don't... I can't..." Camilia whispered as her husband reached across the table and gripped her hand. Slowly Camilia's head turned towards Luz.

Luz reared back in shock, her eyes wide with confusion. She fell to the ground and froze, staring at her mother.

"Luz!" Lucia rushed to her sister and crouched beside her.

Luz pointed a shaking hand at their parents. Slowly Lucia turned around and saw nothing staring back. The eyes of her family had faded to white, iris's blending into [rest of eyes].

Every memory came flooding back, her acceptance into the League, meeting Amelia, starting her bitter rivalry with Rose Thatcher, the date nights, the games, the funerals and anniversaries, the Boiling Isles.

"Our dad died on the line of duty when I was nine." Lucia stood up, taking a step forward. "So who are you?" Her eyes began to glow, light green energy zapped around her. Forcing her hair to stand on its ends. A magical energy she didn't know she had, where had this influx of magic come from? Lucia didn't have the time to figure it out.

Her parents exchanged a look, they nodded before turning back to the sisters.

"We need to talk."