When the Stars Collide

Seirin was a lot bigger than she thought.

The new school towered over her smaller figure in an attempt to subdue the incoming students, but one could feel the air of warmth coming from within. The girl, Okuma Tomoko, breathed in a big gulp of fresh air before stepping into the open gates of Seirin High, her caramel colored hair flowing behind in rhythm of the breeze.

"Dance club! Come join the dance club!"

"You have to join our tennis team!"

"Over here! This club!"

There were so many upperclassmen shoving flyers and sign-up sheets in the girl's face, she could barely see what was in front of her. She laughed; already, she could tell that Seirin was going to be an interesting school.

Tomoko's family had just moved to Tokyo when her dad got a promotion at his company and was required to move and manage a bigger district. Interestingly enough, Seirin High was one her choice schools to attend despite being so new.

"Basketball! Basketball! Will you like to join the basketball team?" She heard a second year shout, and she turned her head to see him waving around a flyer. Suddenly, an even taller male came into her line of vision, instantly blocking her view.

He had a head of fiery red hair that gradually faded into pitch black and two very toned arms that was holding up what looked like a filled out sign-up sheet.

A basketball player, huh? Explains why he looks so athletic and tall, Tomoko thought. When he turned around, she caught a glimpse of what he looked like—a bit scary-looking if you asked her. Even the two upperclassmen watching the stand looked somewhat intimidated by the redhead's presence.

He reminds me of a tiger...

After the tall guy walked out of sight, Tomoko continued to venture around the school and its many clubs and activities. It was a requirement for all students to participate in some kind of after-school club, so she needed to find one quickly before the interesting ones were filled up.

I wonder if they have a cooking club... No, I already signed up for their home economics class... With the split second of inattention, she bumped into someone's back. "Ow!" Tomoko's forehead collided with the backside of a hard head.

"Are you okay?"

Salmon eyes met brilliant blue. Tomoko blinked a few times at the blue haired boy of about equal height; she didn't remember seeing him anywhere in front of her despite not paying attention for a calculated second. Unless he could appear and disappear suddenly...

"Are you okay?" he asked again. Tomoko rubbed her head sheepishly and nodded, apologizing for her mistake. "That's good."

There was something in his eyes—she couldn't quite place it, but it seemed a bit sullen despite his small smile. There was also a paper in his hands and she saw that it was for the basketball team. Trying to lighten up the mood, she asked about it.

"I'm Okuma Tomoko, first-year student at Seirin! You're a first-year too, right? I see you like basketball."

"I'm Kuroko Tetsuya, nice to meet you," the blue haired boy nodded. "I love playing basketball."

"Basketball is a fun sport," Tomoko agreed, clasping her hands behind her back as she walked into step alongside Kuroko. She could see the spark of passion in his eyes when he talked about what he enjoyed, and she was happy. "All the teamwork, hardships, and spirit people put into it always lit a fire within me. Watching them play with all of their heart makes the game worth so much more, even if I'm not very good at interpreting it," she laughed. "There are natural prodigies, but there are also hard-working people who just simply love the game."