komorebi

[The aftermath and recovery of Lloyd falling from a coma, and is hospitalized after using too much energy in the Tornado Of Creation.

Or, the Green Ninja is tired of fighting, and picks the happier place. For a while, at least.]

A/N: this fic is way too long help it's supposed to be 500 words it's now like 3.5k words also it's kai centralized im sorry i'm partial to kai and lloyd's brotherly relationship you know that ; anyways i did not do that much research drawing from my own experiences in the hospital which are actually a lot i should be a great reference yeah

• • •

komorebi: beauty in life, the space in between the canopy and branches that allows sunlight to gently filter through.

the opaque patterned light this creates is called komorebi, created of the kanji characters for tree ( wood), shine through (水れ), and sun (日).

• • •

There's a day when Lloyd Garmadon closes his eyes, and does not open them.

There's a day where he weighs living with the new beginning that goes by the name of death, and picks the easier one.

There is a day where he takes the First Spinjitzu's Master's hand, and doesn't look back.

• • •

It's 2am when Wu's resolve breaks from worry, and lets them bring Lloyd to the hospital.

The green ninja is lying across their couch, a makeshift bed as Sensei Wu exhausts his supplies of magical teas and incense. Bruises flower against his skin, blood painting his gi crimson, and they try their very best to fix what they can; but the fact still remains that none of them is a doctor, besides Zane and his knowledge of medication scraped out from the internet.

It's a few long, painful hours of waiting and hoping until Wu finally relents and says there is nothing more he can do here.

There's a few long moments of unnerving silence, where everyone is trying to digest the question of where the hell did that leave them?

Kai is the first to snap into action, having been through too many close calls already.

The car ride is quiet, and Kai wonders if it's because everyone has too much on their minds or if they're just all thinking about the same thing. He wagers on the latter; there's nothing else really to consider at the moment. The highway runs past his window, cars and bright colored lights blurring into one.

Hospital rooms are almost just as quiet. Squeaking medical carts are wheeled past the door, and quiet sounds of people talking spill in through the cracks. The constant sound of the heart monitor beeping is the only thing they can focus on steadily, the only relieving sound through all their worries.

Kai glances through the room, at Nya and Jay, the former curled up in the latter's arm, eyes closed in an impromptu nap. They're all tired from the earlier fights, energy sucked completely and exhaustion sinking into their bones, but no one else can seem to find the time to spare for sleep.

Zane is flipping through pages and pages of eggshell white documents, occasionally scribbling down pieces of scattered information about their medical history.

Cole stares blankly at the wall opposite him, phone left abandoned in his lap. The screen flashes up with notifications every few seconds, but he doesn't seem to see them. Or if he did, he couldn't care less.

The next few hours are a blur of waiting anxiously by glass walls of a MRI room, watching Lloyd disappear into machine after machine, trying to figure out his extensive injuries. Cuts, bruises, burns, and fractures pile onto the growing list, and Kai's heart sinks, realizing just how much the fight had cost them all.