12:37 | lloyd g.

The one time Lloyd's call is missed, and also the one time it mattered most.

A/N: and action!! and angs-

• • •

If you asked Lloyd which decisions in life he regretted the most, you'd be hit with a variation of different answers, all depending on when you asked. 

Maybe he'd say running away from Darkleys. Or letting out the Serpentine, and the Great Devourer, and ruining so many people's lives. 

Or fighting his father, or letting Zane sacrifice himself, or letting the team fall apart, or not being fast enough or smart enough or good enough for Ninjago City. 

If you asked him now, it would be making the choice to walk across a few blocks for a midnight shopping trip. 

He'd say he didn't think it was dangerous, but as the person everyone hated most in the city, he knew that wasn't true. Even stepping out the door, or going to school, or doing the most normal things a teen could do, earned him cold glares and the not-so-occasional shove or punch.

He kept it to himself, of course. Anyone close to him he told would've probably only been able to make it worse, and honestly, he didn't need anything else to get more troublesome right now. Things were hard enough, trying to balance between saving the world and completing high school. 

Come to think of it, people taking it a few steps further than a few punches thrown was probably something he should've seen coming. 

Lloyd shoves the dark thoughts away in a corner of his mind, and pulls the hood lowers over his face, pulling out his phone to check the time. The bright glow from the screen illuminates the street for a second, and he tamps down the level, wincing at that twinge of pain it brings to his sensitive eyes. 

He doesn't see the dark shadows behind him, glinting silver, too preoccupied too hear the light steps echoing down the street. 

The attack is gone as fast as it came, blows and kicks raining down from all sides disappearing with a flitting run. Lloyd is left abandoned on the freezing sidewalk, grasping at broken bleeding skin. Crimson drips to the ground steadily, coating his fingers with a thick coat of  blood. 

He fumbles for his phone, wincing, and struggles to peer through the spiderwebbed cracks across the smashed screen. The battery glows a dangerous red, warning him of the sliver of energy he has left. 

He hesitates for a second, trying to muffle his whines of pain, and taps at a fractured name on the screen. 

Kai wouldn't miss his call, right? 

The world flickers inky black for a second, and he sinks back down into the cobblestone, leaving the phone ringing quietly. 

• • •

It's three, four, hours after when Kai sees it.

  He pulls out his phone absentmindedly, desperate for some news on the status of his missing brother. The lonely notification blinks up at him, flashing bright white. 

One missed call - Lloyd (12:37 AM)