training | jay w., lloyd g.

Set in the start of S2, when Lloyd is training to defeat his father.

TW: Self doubt, mentions of killing.

In the rush to train Lloyd to defeat his father, the team forgets about an important part of it.

His feelings.

And Jay might not be the best person to deal with that, but he'll try his best.

• • •

Jay screeched, seeing a terrifying looking Nya run towards him. Ducking, he prayed for quick death. There was a crash behind him, resounding through the room. All eyed turned to them, questioning the sound.

Nya sat up from the floor, rubbing her head. "Jay, we're practicing swings, not dodges!" She said angrily, tucking her wooden sword back in its sheath.

"It was my natural survival instinct?" Jay defended himself, smiling sheepishly at her. Reaching up to push a curl away from his eyes, he flinched as an explosion sounded through the room, the ceiling shaking.

Turning around, he saw Lloyd staring at Kai with a look of terror on his face, who had been thrown against the opposite wall. While Cole headed over to help the fire ninja up, ('Bro, you good?' 'Yeah, of course.') The green ninja was storming out the room, seemingly angry at something.

The training room was suddenly silent, the last wisps of green disappearing into the air.

They watched him go, and Kai looked out the door, turning back to glance at the others. "Should I go after him?" he asked, and Jay suddenly spoke up. "I'll go find him."

The others glanced at each other, and Jay bit his lip, jogging towards the door before anyone else could speak up. He'd never been particularly close to the younger boy, so he couldn't blame anyone for being surprised.

After a few minutes of searching through the monastery, he realized this wouldn't be quite as easy as he'd thought.

Oops.

He found Lloyd curled up in a small corner of a room, knees pulled up to his chest and face buried in his arms.

"What happened, buddy?" Jay asked, and he

"I-I lost control of my powers,"came the stuttered explanation, and Jay stared at him, not buying it for a second.

"Yeah, those can be hard to control. But I don't think you're just upset because of that."

"I can't do this anymore." The teen said, voice an few octave higher than it usually was. Jay suspected he was crying, or about to.

"Why not?" The brunette sat down opposite him, leaning against the wall.

"I can't be the green ninja. I'm not good enough." Lloyd said in a small voice, muffled by his training gi.

"Hey. Do you think we all joined the ninja team with these skills just ready? Do you know how long we had to train and practice to get this good? Except for Cole, I mean."

There was a muted giggle from the boy, and Jay smiled, glad. "Look, we all have bad times with training. In fact, you're learning faster than we ever did at first." He said, thinking back to the (embarrassing) times they had to all learn Spinjitzu together.

"What if I fail? What if I can't defeat my dad?" Lloyd looked up, and his eyes were indeed filled with tears. Jay slid over next to him, using his legs to push himself.

"Listen. The prophecies are messed up-" he said, rolling his eyes. "A son shouldn't have to fight his father, much less a thirteen year old. It's not fair on you, and none of us would blame you!