bluebirds, singing | jay w.

[The very last moments of Jay and Cole, and their memories with singing.] 

A/N: very, very, very short angst fic used to plug the hole for day 5 of summer of whump. i'm sorry. i hate it so much but i can't leave day five blank sobbing.

• • •

There's a song my mom used to sing to me, Jay says, and Cole smiles. 

"What is it?" 

Jay's rushed into the ship's medbay at three in the morning, bright blood spilling from the wound in his chest. 

Cole and Zane are at his side in seconds, leaving Lloyd to sob emptily in Kai's arms, murmuring apologies and half broken sentences about not being fast enough, not noticing. 

Cole barely has time to give him a small 'it'll be okay' before leaving, hoping Kai can take care of the rest.

"It's my mom's song." Jay says, and Cole looks over at the small figure curled up the bed curiously. "Can you sing it?"

"I don't know the lyrics, bluebell." Cole tells him, giving a small laugh, and Jay sits up, grinning. 

"Cole?" Jay hums lightly, and his gaze snaps up, silently relived for any excuse to divert his attention from the growing pool of blood on the floor, staining his gi and arms dark crimson. 

"I'm here, Jay." He says, blinking away tears at the sight of the lighting ninja's face.

"Sing for me, please?" He whispers, and Cole's expression breaks into relief. 

"You know I can't sing." He says, keeping his tone light, and piles more clothes against the gaping stab wound. 

"You can." Jay argues, eyes drifting to the ceiling sleepily. "I've heard you sing my mother's song."

"If I tell you, would you sing it?"

"If you stay awake, I'll sing it for you." 

Jay gives a small smile, a mere echo of his earlier self, pale and tired. His blue eyes are still bright, Cole notes faintly.

"I would."

The heart monitor drops dangerously, red and white flashing on the screen.

Cole never gets to sing for him.