imperfectly perfect | zane j.

Set whenever you want

TW: (Slight)Memory loss, anxiety, panic.

Zane clears a important memory from his database by accident, breaking down under the stress he's been pushing away, thinking he does not need to handle them as a nindroid. Jay is convinced otherwise.

• • •

If there is anything Zane prides himself on, it is his organization. Whether its fulfilling the unending need to do laundry for the team, or defusing a bomb, he is automatically known as the most responsible person in the team. 

What else can he be, as a nindroid?

It is a early June morning when it happens, a peaceful day. Zane sat on his bed, clearing out the unneeded information kept in his data, as even a robot has a limit to storage space, like Cole said. 

 He smiles, mildly amused by the sounds of crumpled paper they make as he deletes them. Probably a update by Jay sometime, and in that moment of distraction, something seems to fall in his heart, and he gets the odd feeling off missing something. Shaking it off, he returned to work.

And there is another sound of crumpling paper.

• • •

After finishing the cleaning of his database, Zane looked around, blank eyes scanning his surrounding. Perhaps one of his brothers would be in need of assistance, he considered, standing up from his seat on his bed. 

Walking along the hallways, a blur of blue and brunette ran into him, tackling him to the floor. 

"AgH- Sorry, sorry-" Zane blinked in surprise, untangling himself from the surprise attacker. Smiling, he starts to greet the lighting ninja- 

"Hello,-" The name does not automatically insert itself, his mind more empty that it has ever been. Already, his systems are racing to scan the foreign unnamed face, but his memory finally returns as he looks into the light blue eyes sparkling with excitement, reminding him of lighting crackling across the dark skies. 

Jay. Jay. How could he forget his brother's name? Nindroids did not forget. They were not built to forget such important information- 

"Zane? You okay?" A voice broke him out of his thoughts, and he realized with a start he was still sitting on the frigid ground, staring at the ground. 

"I-I cannot." He stuttered a reply, not knowing what he was saying no to. 

"You- what's wrong?" Jay asked, worry filling his voice.

"I forgot your name." Zane gasped out, and Jay's expression turned downcast for a moment, then even more anxious. 

"Pfft, don't worry about it. Everyone forgets something once in a while." Jay reassured him, bending down to his level. He patted his shoulder, starting again. "Really, it's oka-"

"I don't." Zane was taken by surprise at how cold his own voice sounded to him, metallic tones grating on his ears. Jay winced slightly, and he could guess it did not sound very friendly. "I don't forget." 

Jay shrugged, blue hoodie shifting slightly. "Everybody messes up once in a while, it's nothing-"

"I am a nindroid. I was not built to...fail." 

The lighting ninja's expression turned sterner, and he plopped down cross legged on the floor properly. "You didn't fail at anything. And nindroids are still part of 'everybody', aren't they? Now tell me exactly how you forgot. Maybe it was a glitch from the last time I updated you."