monsters lurk in my dark | lloyd g., kai smith

Set after S5, whatever time you want.

TW: Killing, death, injuries, blood, gunshot, stab wounds, crying, realistic nightmares, screaming.  

Lloyd has nightmares sometimes, when the monsters hide in the dark of his dreams, and when the darkest thoughts invade. Kai's there to keep them away, though.

• • •

Lloyd was standing in a abandoned street, listening to the wind howl through the trees.

Behind him were the sounds of a fight through the city, screams fading away into nothing. 

"You said you loved me." A low voice rang out behind him, and he turned, holding out a sword defensively, only to see his father standing behind him, staring at him. 

"I-I do." He stammered, weapon slipping from his fingers.

"Then why did you do it?" Garmadon asked, and his expression twisted in confusion. 

"Do what?" 

The moment he asked, blood began gushing from his father's chest, dripping to the ground. 

"D-dad?" He asked, rushing towards him. Garmadon gave him one last dark, accusing look, and promptly crumpled to the ground,  blood pooling around him.

Lloyd looked at his hands, realizing they were stained a dark red. 

His sword was buried into his father's chest, and Lloyd's mind spun wildly, thoughts rushing out of control. Darkness swept in from the corners of his eyes, and-

He found himself kneeling on the ground in a dark alleyway a second later.

 Kai and Jay both laid in front of him, a gunshot wound through the former's stomach. The lighting ninja was curled up next to him, a deep puddle of blood pooling around his shoulder. 

 A gun was thrown aside on the path, wall behind him peppered with bullet holes. 

"Kai?" Just as he whispered the name, the world turned blank again, and he was standing above Nya laying on a edge of the empty docks, blood gushing from the long wound on her throat. 

The sea water was stained with red, mixing with the clear liquid. 

He stood in shock, faintly noting the knife next to her. Blood dripped steadily from his fingertips, splattering onto the ground. 

He didn't-

Everything starting twisting into each other, the docks melding into the water, and he lurched forward-

In front of him laid another one of his friends. 

"W-w-why did you do it?" Zane stammered, and Lloyd saw with horror that his chest had been ripped up, a gaping hole in his body revealing the robot's inner works. Torn, mangled wires sparked for the last time, 

 The nindroid blinked one last time, and the light in his eyes went dark, accusing gaze turning into a empty, lifeless stare. 

"Zane- I didn't-"

"Lloyd?"

The scene spun into black before him again, and he stood at the edge of a building before Cole. 

 Lloyd distantly felt the outlined shape of a brick in his hands.

"Hey, hey, hey- stop that—"