Chapter 26: Down memory lane

Marcus pulled out a GPS and handed it to Leon. He asked Leon to locate the place we were heading to so we could plan accordingly with the rest. It took her a few minutes before she found the place she was looking for. The hydroponics factory was located smack in the middle of the business district. The risk of getting infected was not only trippled, we would have to deal with a large number of infected people. So far we had only been to places in the outskirts of town where they were fewer.

We would definitely need hazmat suits as well as more weapons, if we were going to make it out alive. Thankfully we had carried enough hazmat suits for everyone, having pre-empted thier reluctance to go outside without them.While Leon debated on the disadvantages of carrying weapons I added a few more pieces to my arsenal. It would be wise to be well prepared and I, would not back down from a fight if one broke out. If anything I hoped we would encounter a lot of the infected.

Phillip and the others arrived just as were strapping our guns to different parts of our bodies. We had gotten into the suffocating suits. I had been forced to relinquish my machine gun because the suit limited my range of movement. Marcel took in the weapons displayed on the table and let out an appreciative whistle.

"Well I guess the one thing we are not going to run out of is weapons" Nigel said picking up a piece turning it over in his hands.

"What we have is nowhere near enough. This might be able to get us through this until we seal the shelter. So if you come across some more don't hesitate to bring them back." Charles said handing another piece to Philip who gingerly held the gun.

We need to make life in the shelter sustainable. We may have food now, but it will not last a year not to talk of a decade. Most of the food will expire within the first year so we need to grow food and rear lifestock if we are to survive. We will also need additional equipments and supplies for making the things. Charles?....

"Yeah so we have already figured out food logistics. We still need things like textile for making clothes, beddings and several other things that might come in handy. We will also need more drugs. A decade underground will most likely take a toll on us and with no way of getting back to the surface any type of medical emergency will have to be handled in the bunker. I have a list of supplies the doctor gave me so we can prioritize that. We still need cleaning supplies, sanitary products and other general items. We also need books and any and every electronic we can get our hands on". Charles concluded and motioned Philip forward. Phillip handed out check lists and car keys to everyone.

"We identified the specific locations that we can be able to obtain these items. Mind you we do not know if they are still functional which is why we made the lists. If possible busy each and everyone of those places. We will divide ourselves into groups of two with the exception of the group in charge of collecting agricultural supplies. Most if the locations are found on the outskirts of town so you might encounter fewer infected there."

"Most of us here have encountered the infected so it should not be a new jarring experience. I cannot however in good conscience allow you to go out there before warning you of the danger paused by those who are not infected. I will not go into many details, but if you encounter anyone on the road you are not intimately familiar with do not stop. Which is another reason why we should try as much as possible to go back to the shelter as soon as possible. Right now most people are in hiding from the infected. Once the announcement about the nuclear strike comes on anyone with the knowledge about the shelter will try to get in. Work as fast as you can and be safe than out there" Marcus then stuffed a few more pistols in his bag before going off on his own.

Marcus, Leon, Charles and I were assigned to the agricultural supplies run. We waited on Charles as he suited up. We each had a cargo truck to drive to maximise space and eliminate the need to return for more supplies. Marcus truck was first to leave followed by Leon's and then mine and at the very back was Charles. We were each given a satellite phone for communication and then we were off.

I followed Marcus truck, finding comfort in the silent. After about an hour just as we entering the business district I heard a knock coming from the cargo hold of my truck. I thought I was mistaken and was about to dismiss it when I heard the knock again. I called Charles asking him to stop. I pulled up the truck and waited for Charles to get to me. A knock came once again just as Charles opened mouth to speak. He pulled out his gun and went around the cargo hold. I followed him closely behind with no idea what to expect.

Charles silenced me with his fingers and then signalled for me to open the door. He moved further back so that he could broaden his scope and cocked his gun waiting. I grabbed a handle and prepared to get out of the way as soon as fast as possible. He gave me the okay signal and I used all my strength to open the door using the same momentum to jump back and out of the way. Charles tensed for a moment before lowering his gun. I went around to where he stood and could not help but let out a disgruntled sigh. Somehow while the rest of us had been occupied with planning my friends had managed to sneak into my truck. Monica gave a sheepish wave before hoping off.