Chapter 16: Hospital 2

Phillip's P.O.V

A crashing sound woke me up with a start. I looked around the room wildly the image of the infected the only thing present in my mind. It took me a minute to locate the fallen bowl and an equally startled woman sprawled on the floor. Seconds later the door bust open and four women ran into the room. They ran to the woman on the floor helping her up. They were about to exit the room when the one who had created the commotion spotted me.

"He's awake!" She gasped making a beeline for me.

I tried to move away from the approaching stranger a gesture that she completely disregarded choosing instead to feel up my forehead.

"You are awake now and there no sign of a fever so you should be fine. You should take it easy in the meantime. Fighting with the infected might not give you an infection but they sure as hell could inflict of damage."

" Come along now, since the doctor has cleared you see no reason why you should be in bed." One of the women spoke up before exiting followed by the others until only the woman she had referred to as the doctor remained.

"Don't worry about her, she will only kill you if you give her a reason to..." she stretched out her hands towards me. "My name Catherine. However,there are two Catherines so the ladies just call me Doc or Doctor C." I shook her hand for a second before dropping it.

" Your friend is down stairs. He told us about the nuclear strike and we wanted to join you guys. I am a certified doctor with valuable medical expertise. Wanda the one with the maroon braids is a certified nurse who had been in the field a whole lot longer than I have. The woman who addressed you Teresa is a pathologist and the best one I have come across so far. She has over twenty years of experience and her career has been nothing short of awe inspiring. Last but not least there is Catherine she is a lab technician. She is a genius when it comes to all and any kind of medical equipment. She graduated from M.I.T where she managed to complete her studies through scholarships."

The doctor paused her anxious face unmasking her fears. She was scared and with good reason. Even without the nuclear strike the world was already pretty much inhabitable. I tried getting up and was rewarded by a viscous throb that cause me to drop back. The doctor was by my side in a second helping me up.

" Careful you hit your head pretty hard in that fall.You might have a concussion let me see." She shone a light pen peering into one eye and then the other

After a series of tests, she declared me concussion free. She then half walked, half pulled me towards an unknown destination and I had no choice but to follow. We made our way through the pristine halls and into what looked like a lecture hall, complete with chairs and a white board. I did not get the chance to take in the rest of the room before Nigel pounced on me. He engulfed me with hairy arms and then proceeded to crush my ribs with his pats. I dare say that was the most amount of affection I had ever seen Nigel show.

Wanda cleared her throat causing Nigel to let my aching body go. The women were gathered in the room, all five of them. Teresa had a death grip on the pamphlet Marcus had given us. That was the only sign of tension in her body. She had the best poker face I had ever come across. Wanda pulled out a chair for me. As soon as I sat down she began her speech.

"Hello Phillip?" I raised my eyebrows at my name to which she quickly replied "Nigel already told us your name."

"Nigel explained to us what is coming and what your plans are. I know space is limited but we can be very helpful. You guys don't have qualified medical personnel which honestly is an apocalyptic must have. I don't think I need to explain any further than that. You need us and we need you so we all hope we can work together."

" This hospital is big and the owner invested a lot of funds into it. We have enough medicine to treat a village not to mention high tech equipment that will be helpful especially if we are planning on staying underground for a decade. It's true we can't survive without your help but without our help you will be as good as dead". Teresa concluded as I squirmed under her cold and slightly terrifying.

"Nothing has been set in stone yet. We are still gathering resources. If we manage to get into the shelter we might have a fighting chance. We cannot be able to garante your survival. I don't want to make promises I can't keep. If you want still want to come with us then that would be great."

The ladies it seemed had already made up thier minds to come with us. With the addition help we loaded every drug we could find as well as all the equipments we would require. Just like Teresa had said there were enough drugs in the hospital to treat an entire village or two. It took three hours to load everything up. We each wore a hazmat suit that we had gotten from the hospital along with a hundred other unit that we also loaded. The ladies climbed in with the supplies and then we were off. We made a few more stops at clinics and pharmacies salvaging whatever we could until the cargo hold of the truck was filled. Despite our numerous pit stops we were also the first group to return.

The presence of the infected meant that there were still active virus carrying canisters around. It was sheer luck that prevented us from dying. In situations like this it better to be safe than sorry. The ladies explored the office that had been our home. I found myself glancing at the clock hoping the rest fared better than I did.