Chapter 12: Death and Anarchy

According to what Kevin had found out from his former commander, whatever was left of the worlds government had come up with the brilliant idea to destroy everything. Exactly how many canisters there were containing the virus was up to anyone guess. At first, the focus had been to retrieve the canisters to curb the spread. After a hundred thousand canisters had been retrieved it becomes clear that containing the spread was a fools errand.

Any attempt at disabbling the canisters proved futile as any interference detonated the virus. The safest option had been to release them in an airtight room. It was then decided that burning everything would be the easiest and only way to ensure that the Virus was completed destroyed.

After a week of weighing options nuclear bombs had taken the price. Measures had been taken to reduce the impact of the bombs as well as the effects of the resulting radioactive radiation. Even with all the preventive measures in place the impact would still be enough to level most buildings. The radiation would take up to ten years to clear.

A deafening silence ensued when Kevin announced that we would be stuck in the bunker for ten years. However our biggest concern was not shared by the three brothers.

"What's wrong?" I asked earning looks of disbelief from the rest as if I were questioning the obvious.
Marcus focused on me his eyes not wavering from me as he delivered the punchline.

"We went through the bunkers specs. Although it had been reinforced enough to withstand an explosion, and wasn't fitted against radiation. We need to modify and reinforce a few things in order to survive the initial explosion and the radiation. Aside from the structural integrity of the bunker, our current supplies are not enough to last us a year not to talk of a decade."

His speech was greeted with silence once more. The grim reality of our new lives settling in as the struggle to survive was driven anotch earlier. I felt a twinge of anxiety settle in as his declaration sunk in. Irregardless of any solution we came up with. Staying put inside the bunker was no longer an option.

"I have a solution for bunker," my father stood up heading for the map that had been spread out on the table by the Charles.

My father ran his fingers on the map before stopping and motioned the brothers forward. A whispered discussion between them ensued for several minutes while the rest of us stared on.
Finally after what seemed like an eternity Marcus refocused his attention on us just long enough to dismiss us.

We all trudged out of the room leaving the brothers and our respective father's behind. I waited until everyone one had cleared before sneaking back careful not to alert the occupants in the room.

"....And we need to find a means of transportation to the underground shelter not just for the family but for our supplies." Tim, Ruth's father concluded.

"The problem isn't just transportation, how do we know if it hasn't been occupied yet. We could be bunking all our hope on a unicorn!" Stewart Susan's father chimed in.

"Aside from all that we are avoiding the elephant in the room. The infected have been proven to be very aggressive, i believe 'mass murderer on steroids' was at one point used to describe them. How are we to gather supplies with the infected still around. Not to mention the canisters are still somewhere and can be released at anytime." Joseph, Monica's father, said pacing around the table.

The men fell silent, heads lowered to the map, perhaps hoping for miraculous answers. The supposed heads of the household were stumped, so what better time to shine and establish my place as a decision maker.

"I have a solution for two of your problems and a suggestion for one. Who wants to hear them?" I spoke up emerging from behind the door that had shielded me thus far.

I could almost hear the collective eye roll that followed my announcement. If it were any other person the lack of enthusiasm would have deterred them. I on the hand had more than enough confidence in my idea to not be discouraged.

"I know what your are thinking, there goes the psychopath but it's not like you are overflowing with ideas. Because if you are please let's hear them out."

I think I saw a ghost of a smile play on my father's lips before vanishing. Marcus created space for me to get to the table. They had the a downloaded map displayed on a tablet. I zoomed to the Girim show room.

"The Girim show room, is basically a vehicle show room but for tankers, trucks and any other heavy-duty motor vehicles. If we could secure an oil tanker transportation would be a whole lot easier. They are airtight so there will be no risk of infection. We can also get drones there. The place installed the latest technologies in security and the last time I was there, there were drones patrolling the area. The drones can help us know if the underground shelter is occupied and help with avoid large groups of the infected ." I paused to see if we were still together. Nobody spoke up and I took that as a sign to continue.

"The showroom isn't the far from here so we can go get the tankers and trucks. The drones servers are in the building so I am not sure if they are still operational. If the servers are operational it would make coordination a whole lot easier, because they moniter an large area."

"How do you know all this." my father asked eyes trained on me.

"Phillip's father owns the show room." I said hoping my face looked appropriately apologetic. He never liked Phillip or his family.

"Phillip...?" Kevin questioned

"Yes, Phillip, he's an ex." I replied and the silence that ensued forced me to look up to find the room filled with disbelieving faces. As if the idea of me with a man was simply unthinkable.

"Wow, okay. I don't know why this comes as a surprise to you but I have had past relationships."

I did not tell them that I had never had feelings for any of the people I had gone out with, or that most of said relationships had been at Loice's insistence.

"So you know the place very well?" Marcus asked as he suspiciously shuffled papers around. He did not look at me despite the fact that the question was addressed to me. For some reason it seemed like he was avoiding eye contact, a lot more than usual.

Despite the fact that we were for all intents and purposes isolated together in a confined space, he had managed to expertly maneuver his way out of any personal interaction with me. I had noticed this a long time ago but did not care enough to find out why. He had been nothing but a polite gentleman but it always felt like I was being handled everytime we spoke. I, therefore, did not go out if my way to engage him.

I did not pry this time either. There was no need to. If he felt the need to avoid me then there was nothing I could do. Even if there was I wouldn't bother. After some deliberation it was decided that Marcus, Charles and I would go check out the showroom the next day. I left the men to continue their discussion. Despite the fact we underground and baracaded indoors, the atmosphere seemed lighter than it had been for a while.