chapter 41

Harry

After Alexis left last night, I hadn't been able to do much - just sleep. I'd tossed and turned all night, wrapped myself tight in the sheets. I woke a few times. I sat up and immediately the cold air would hit my bare chest. I hated the cold, so I'd slide back down, wrap myself up again, and fall to sleep.

When Alexis rang my phone around 2pm, I was just about to step into the shower. The screen on my phone was covered in a thin layer of fog from sitting on the countertop. The bathroom seemed more like a steam room, and sweat was dripping down my neck. But the heat in the room didn't matter, because I was on the phone to Alexis, and nothing she was saying was hurting me.

"I did it, Harry. God, I did it," she said. He breathing was jagged, like she was running. "He knew I didn't want him anymore. It hurt to look at the pain in his eyes, Harry. But I did it, and I'm all yours now."

I hadn't known what to say - not for a while, anyway. I was just breathing into the phone, maybe a little creepily. I'd slid down the wet bathroom wall, phone pressed hard against my ear. She wasn't going anywhere, wasn't leaving me for him anytime soon, but I couldn't hang up the phone, because what if while we weren't on the phone she changed her mind? She would be walking down the street, realise the reckless decision she'd made, and then run all the way back to him and I'd lose her. Again.

"Stay on the phone," I said meekly. I sounded more broken than I should have. I wasn't broken - I was happy. I was desperate. I needed to see her right in front of me so I could hug her and touch her and kiss her. I needed physical reassurance.

"Of course," she replied.

I could hear her heaving breaths, comforting me each time she breathed in and then out again. I didn't have anything to say - maybe I should say that I love her. I didn't really want to, though; I'd rather show her. Run my lips over every part of her body, make sure my love is evident. Although, confirming my love for her in words is probably the easiest way to make sure she knows.

So I whispered, "I love you," and heard a happy sigh. She giggled a little bit, before saying it back and oh, that was just wanted I needed. Her happy laugh, and the best words coming out of her mouth.

"I'm outside your house. You need to paint it, by the way. It's chipping off around the window on the second level - the left one," she said.

"I'll do that after you move in," I replied.

"I'm not moving-" I hung up the phone before she could finish. I was rushing to my front door in only my underwear. I wouldn't need them for the next few hours anyway.

The cold air hit my skin, but warmth filled my body. I was greeted with a frazzled, messy Alexis. Her hair was up in an impossible-to-do bun, probably ut up while walking over here; her fringe was parted in the middle, as always; and her make up had worn off, mostly around her cheeks, leaving the natural red flush. I wanted to pull this messy, perfect and amazing woman into my arms, and it registered in me that I could. She wasn't promised to another man, or doing everything in spite of me - she was allowing herself to be with me, and to let me love her.

Her blue eyes stared at me, wide and questioning. Did she want me to say something? I didn't have anything to say, just a lot to do.

She spoke up. "I'm not moving in. Not for a while, anyway."

"I don't care. Just.." I grabbed her hand, pulling her into me. "You won't go anywhere? I'm theoretically down on my knees."

She laughed, putting her hands on my shoulders. She started pushing me down.

"Go on. Get on your knees," she said, serious face staring me down.

"I'm not actually going to get on my knees, Alexis," I argued.

She turned away from me and started walking towards the from gate. Her legs swung out widely one with each step, prolonging this dramatic act. Although I knew she was joking, I was a desperate man. I let out a huff of surrendering air, and fell to my knees.

"Oh, Princess. I'm on my knees."

She turned, mischievous smile on her face. "You're no good on your knees out here. Take me upstairs, would you?"

"That would be my pleasure."

(A/N: ahhhh!! it's done!!! please leave comments!! i may write a prologue if you guys want so make sure to comment if you do! sorry this chapter is so short. it didn't need to be any longer! xxxx)