Chapter [79]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

"Take care of her Mary," I whisper softly, "Keep her safe."

"I will Danielle," Mary croaks, "Don't get yourself killed."

I end the call placing my phone on the table glancing up at Nik who walks over.

"Hope's down for the count. She fell asleep as soon as Mary started the car. I doubt she'll miss either of us over the next few days," I inform him lifting up a piece of paper ripped from a small notebook, "So...which of these Kingmaker offices should we hit up first? There's ten of them?"

Nik doesn't speak his eyes stay gazing down at the floor.

"What it is?" I ask with worry.

"Lucien has revealed his true nature," Nik anxiously admits, "He's taken Freya."

My eyes widen is suprise.

"And now, it seems her rescue depends on Elijah working with my ever-reliable brother Finn."

I shake my head, "Oh... And you want to go back to New Orleans to head up the hunt?"

Nik hesitates fiddling with his fingers.

"Fine," I nod in understanding, "You should go. I'm sticking with Kingmaker, though. Lucien's working very hard to cover up these wolf kidnappings, and I want to know why."

I reach out for the list and car keys gripping it tightly walking towards the door.

Nik grabs my wrist, "No. The wolves, Freya's abduction... it can't all be coincidence. We'll let my brothers pursue the obvious path."

I smile.

"You and I... will pursue this one. No doubt all roads..." He points to the third address, 122283 Forest Road, "...Lead to to the same treacherous bastard."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

I climb out of the car, the two of us heading into an office.

"Does he just build these from a kit or something?" I ask incredulously, "It's the exact same as the last five offices. Same windows, same plants....."

Nik interrupts, "And inside, same generic abstract art, same compellable receptionist..."

I sigh, "Look, are you sure you wouldn't be better off with your brothers? I can do the leg-work."