Chapter [69]

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Danielle's PoV

I stand opposite Cami in the wine cellar, "Look, I know it may not seem like it right now, but what you're going through? It does get better. And I'm here to help you through it."

I notice Cami not paying attention.

I place my hand on her shoulder, "Cami...?"

She finally looks at me with a patronising smile, "Yes. That's very sweet, Dani, and I think you should take your own advice."

I blink in confusion, "What?"

"I mean, that is why you wanted to speak to me, right? To get some words of wisdom from the Mikaelson family therapist?"

"Cami....."

"Come on. It's just us girls! You don't have to deny it. It frustrates you that Klaus and I have such a close relationship, doesn't it?" She taunts.

I narrow my eyes taking a deep breathe, "You're going through a really hard time right now, Cami, but provoking me is not the way to go. Do you understand me?"

Cami's eyes widen, "I... I don't know what's wrong with me. Why would I say that?"

I sigh, "You're manic. It's part of the transition. Everything becomes heightened."

"I think I wanted to make you feel pain like I do. And so I said an evil, unfair thing.... An untrue thing, Dani.."

"Forget it," I smile kindly, "You're not you."

Cami frowns, "I thought I could handle this..."

I hold out to hold her hand tightly, "You can. You will. You just need time."

I pull her into a tight hug.

"I think maybe I should go home..."

I go to respond but she's already disappeared.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

I sit on the edge of the bed staring at the wall.

"Where is Camille?" Nik asks frantically.

"She went home," I announce standing up, "She needed some time, and yes, I let her go. I know you think you're helping, but all you're doing is pissing her off, and that's the last thing she needs. Trust me."

Nik doesn't look convinced.

"Nik, the Cami that we knew is gone," I whisper, "And whoever she's gonna be is something that she has to figure out by herself."

Nik looks to the ground guiltily, "I just wanted to keep her safe..."

I step forward grabbing his face affectionately stroking his cheek, "Sometimes the people you think you're keeping safe? Elijah, Rebekah, Hayley, even Hope? Sometimes you do them more harm than good."

Nik looks at me thoughtfully.

"What is it?"

"What you just said....keeping Rebekah safe? I know what the weapon is."

"You do?"

"I made it myself."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

Nik frantically searches through the shelves and boxes in his study.

"All my efforts to protect and provide comfort for my family..."

Elijah gives Nik a worried glance, "Klaus, you're not making any sense."

"The pale horse! It isn't a constellation, nor is it a Biblical verse. It's a... a trinket I made when we were children. A toy carved from kindling which I gave to Rebekah in the hopes of easing her fears."

"I collected the firewood myself. It was fallen branches from everywhere, and..." Elijah's eyes widen in realisation, "The horse was made of the white oak..."

"You mean the horse trinket I've let Hope play with!" I exclaim loudly rushing over to her crib.

Hayley stares in disbelief, "That weapon is here."

I pull apart the duvet trying to find it, "This doesn't make any sense. It was here. I saw it!"

"When?"

"Before I took Cami down into the wine cellar."

Nik sighs, "Oh, I believe you. We're just here a little too late."

I furrow my eyebrows.

"There is only one other person capable of deciphering the witch's riddle, the very person with whom I shared my memories of that night... My trusted therapist."

I look up at Nik, "That is why she was so distant."

xxemsy2510xx