Chapter [57]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

I sit next Nik who drinks a large glass of wine, watching Marcel lean against the table succumbing to the wolf venom in his system.

"I can't believe how stupid you were," I swoop my in front of Nik grabbing his wine downing it myself.

He pouts grabbing another glass filling them both, turning to Marcel annoyed, "I bet they were all so impressed, weren't they? Hmm, your new mates? Positively taken by your boldness, your cunning wit, and your steely resolve."

Nik leans back in his seat, "And you just assumed that I would be willing.....eager, even.....to drain the blood from my veins in the aftermath."

Marcel remains silent, patchy breathes exert from his mouth.

Nik stands up rolling his eyes, "We cannot tell friend from foe, and what are you doing? You're pledging a fraternity run by those conspiring against us!"

"My interest in The Strix is because of you," Marcel sighs in admission.

Nik furrows his eyes at his confession.

"I don't get to choose sides. Whoever comes for you, comes for me. That's all I need to know."

Freya walks in her tired expression evident upon her features, "She's awake."

Nik looks at Marcel, "Yes, whoever comes for me may very well come for you."

He bites his hand draining his blood into his empty wine glass, "But, they may also come through you, Marcellus."

I watch desperately reach for the glass only for Nik to jerk it away from his grip.

"Remember that," Nik eventually gives up the glass.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

I walk down the stairs bumping into the man who was with Nik earlier.

"Ah Danielle," He smirks winking.

I roll my eyes, "And who are you supposed to be?"

He smiles bowing, "Lucien."

I nod shoving past him towards Hayley.

"I'm sorry. I hoped I was wrong, Lucien. I really did," Alexis looks up at him before flickering her eyes to Nik, "But I saw it. I saw him die."