Chapter [45]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

I quietly sit at the dining room table with Nik waiting for Elijah to arrive.

"There you are, finally," Nik dramatically claims leaning back into his chair.

Elijah sighs, "I was delayed."

Nik smiles, "Our guest of honor will be here momentarily."

"Strange, our house is conspicuously absent of our lupine guests," He gestures to the silence in the compound, "I do hope it wasn't on my account."

Nik laughs, "I sent Hayley and her poorly groomed husband off to spend the day with their werewolf brethren to test the limits of their new abilities. Leaving me to deal with family business as I see fit."

Elijah turns to me, "And you?"

I shrug, "The dynamic between Hayley and I has changed slightly. She's married. I decided to leave her be. Besides, I want to know what Nik has in store when it comes to family business."

Elijah nods, a frown appearing on his lips, "Niklaus, Danielle, Rebekah's situation has taken a turn. We may need Freya's assistance. So, whatever you're planning here? Don't."

"I believe Nik is planning on having a simple chat with your long lost sister. I for one am intrigued about Freya."

Nik rolls his eyes, "Please, it was Elijah's idea to hear her out."

"And you yourself said that would be idiocy."

Nik smirks, "Did I?" His face turns serious, "Well, it does sound like me. Regardless, on the off-chance Freya has some information that could protect my daughter, I'd prefer she share it on my terms."

I hear footsteps echo on the wooden floorboards, "Looks like she's arrived."

Nik stands up, "Sister! Well, come in! Come in! Make yourself comfortable."

I stand up reaching out for her hand, "It's nice to meet you. I'm Danielle."

Freya smiles, "Ah, yes. My future sister-in-law."

I blink in surprise, avoiding glancing at Nik, "I'm not engaged."

Her eyes light up, "Not yet. I'm sure my brother has something planned."

We turn to Nik who rolls his eyes.

Coughing I guide Freya to a seat beside me, "Join me."