Chapter [78]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

I speed out of the bar after Nik standing in front him highly unamused my hands on my hips.

"There is a scared kid out there, and I can't just turn my back on her."

Nik clenches his jaw, "And, tragic as that may be, it's not my problem. Neither is it yours. Get in the car. We're leaving."

I shake my head, "We're not going anywhere."

"And I suppose you're going to stop me?" Nik taunts leaning down at me, "Perhaps you'll get Cletus and your other foul-smelling friends to help?"

I push him back angrily, "Those friends of mine are helping us, Nik-- no questions asked-- despite the fact they have problems of their own. And all you've done is insult them. You don't get it, do you? This is the exact reason why we're here. Maybe if you hadn't been a dick to, I don't know, everybody, then we wouldn't even be on the run."

Nik steps forward opening the driver's door, "I have always done what I needed to do to protect our family from numerous enemies. I make no apologies for my methods."

"Do you even hear yourself, Nik? You're incapable of even pretending to be a good person. And you can justify it all you want with strategy, and "us versus them," but at the end of the day, the enemies that you have are the ones that you made."

I push his hand away from the door shutting it abruptly, "Is that what you want for your daughter? Is that how you want her to see the world? I'm not just gonna stand back and let you raise her to be just like you, Nik."

"If it's your impulse to trust in the kindness of those outside the family, all the more reason you need my protection," Nik taunts.

I growl furiously, "I'm gonna go speak to that girl, because she needs my help. You're gonna stay here and shut up. I've earned at least that."

"Dani, listen to me-"

I bump past him opening the back door, showing Hope quietly smiling up at us, "There is a very good chance that one day, our daughter will be dealing with the same thing that Kayla is dealing with. And, if that day comes, I hope that someone makes it their business to help her, too."

Nik goes to speak, a look of realisation flooding his features.

I reach out for Nik's arm squeezing it affectionately, "Being kind doesn't make you weak, Nik, remember that."

I disappear rushing to the creek to find Kayla.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹