Chapter [64]

Danielle's PoV

Danielle's PoV

Cami sits beside me on the sofa, her eyes full of curiousity and distaste.

A woman walks up to me slitting her wrist, letting her blood fill up my glass.

I sigh sipping silently, "Thanks."

"Do they, like, pay you?" Cami asks the woman who smiles.

Nik waltzes in, "Handsomely! And with a generous Christmas bonus."

He holds out his hand taking a glass from the woman, "Isn't that right?"

The woman smiles weakly walking away.

"So, you just compel her to nod and agree with whatever you say?" Cami tilts her head.

"I compel her to feed me... and to hang the occasional Christmas ornament," Nik smiles, "She can say whatever the hell she wants."

Cami laughs.

"You seem better," I comment reaching for her hand.

She nods, "Yeah. Thank you both for letting me stay here the last couple of days, and giving me space to not talk."

I smile brightly, "You're always welcome here."

"Why didn't either of you go with Elijah to help Rebekah?" Cami asks, "I hope it's not to stay and babysit me."

Nik shrugs, "It's not a good idea for he and I to spend hours together in confined spaces, given that the prophecy foretells one family member felled by another."

"I've had plenty of excitement these last few days," I explain leaning into the pillows behind me.

Cami notices Nik's sad expression, "You don't think he would hurt you?"

Nik sighs quietly, "I don't know what to think."

He places his glass on the table, "The damn fortune-teller's predictions continue to unfold, despite all our efforts..."

Cami's phone buzzes, "It's Vincent. I have to go."

I smile, "Be careful. I would like to see you later alive and well."

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

I walk downstairs into the courtyard finding Jackson peering over Freya.