The one with the accident

Eight days later

Y/n pov

"Killed a random woman and kidnapped his own kid. Used the same truck, not the brightest bulb" detective Brighton says from the driverseat.

"Well, he's been locked up for 11 years. He's out of practice" i say, glancing back at Mark Hodges in the backseat. Let's say that it's bugging me that his name is Mark.

"Don't they say these guys come out better criminals?" Brighton says.

"The smart ones do" i answer as i look to the road.

"You saying i'm dumb?" Hodges asks from the backseat and i let out a sign.

"You're impatient, angry. You took your own kid just to get back at your ex" i say as i look back at him. It disturbs me that he's so calm, if we don't count the fact that he bit Morgan.

"You've got it all figured out" he says looking at me.

"Well your ex-wife said..." i start but he interrupts me.

"She was a liar, and i should've killed her"

"Like you killed Holly Brooks?" i meet his gaze to see if i can decipher him a bit. "Why did you do it?"

"You wouldn't understand"

"Try me" i say, everything to get his ass in prison. But he just starts to look out the window again so i turn back to look at Brighton. "Here's what i don't get about this guy"

"What's that?" Brighton asks, sounding a little bit intrigued in what the profiler doesn't get.

"His whole life he's a thief, he comes out of prison a murderer" in the end i look back at him to see a reaction, none.

"Killed an innocent woman" Birghton says as he glances back through the rearview mirror.

"How do you know she's innocent?" he looks forward and so do i, too keep a look on the road.

"You stabbed her and threw her out of a truck. What the hell did she ever do to you?" Brighton questions but Hodges just looks out the window again, like he's looking for something. "You know, what i don't get is why you couldn't just appreciate the freedom. You could've holed up in that cabin a long time. Enjoyed the quiet. I guess some people just need the distractions. You probably got used to all that madness when you were locked up"

" 'It's madness for the sheep to talk peace with a wolf' " Hodges says, stretching his neck. I recognize that quote from somewhere.

"That sounds like something my daddy would say" Brighton reminiscing about the past.

"Thomas Fuller"

"You impressed?"

"I'm surprised" i say, looking back at him again. "So you're the wolf?"

"You have no idea"

"There is it, that ego" i say as a strong car light lights up our faces. "You know, for one second, you were unpredictable. but you can't help yourself. You got to talk a big talk. Just so you know, that's boring" he starts to unbuckle himself as he grunts.

"Hey, what was that?" i ask as i look back to see him bending forward without his seatbelt. "Sit up"

"I'm gonna be sick" he says like he's getting carsick, but he's been looking out the whole time.

"What's going on?" Brighton asks, not too worried.

"I don't know"

"I'm gonna pull over" he says as he stops the car on the side of the forest road. Not a living soul in sight.

"I'm gonna be sick" Hodges mutters again from the back.

"Can you turn the light on?" i ask and Brighton does.

"I'm gonna be sick"

"Oh what the hell?" Brighton asks as it almost sounds like he's gonna throw up.

"Am i still boring?" i hear him say this instead.

"What?" i ask, slightly taken back as i look back at him.

"Am i boring?" he almost yells out as he sits back up and fastens his seatbelt once again. But just as i turn around to let my gun face him everything lights up before we start to roll downhill. I hit my head hard against the dashboard and everything goes black to the shooting pain.

As i start to regain consciousness i hear the muffled sound of someone being choked. But the ringing in my ears is making me not trust my hearing. I lift my head to lean it back against the seat head to see Brighton eyes, how the life slowly disappears from them.

"Where are the keys, bitch?" Hodges asks as he leans over me, it's like my whole body is paralysed right now. I try to push him away but he just continues to search for the keys to his cuffs until he finds them. But as he pulls back to his seat, his elbow hits my head, causing me to see stars. The ringing continues as the headlights of a truck are pointed down at us. I can see the silhouette of someone running down towards us. I try to use my voice to call for help but it's meaningless, nothing but a few grunt comes out.

"Give me the gun" Hodges says to the silhouette, a man, as the man pushes him against the driver seat side door.

"What?" the man asks. "What's wrong with you? You killed a cop."

"Give me the gun" Hodges continues.

"She's a fed" the man says as i start to search for my own gun at my feet but can't seem to find it.

"Look, she knows there's two of us now" Hodges says.

"You're gonna need stitches" the man says and i look back up at them.

"I'm not going to the hospital"

"There's a lot of blood, put pressure on it" the man says and Hodges looks back at me.

"Give me the gun" Hodges continues but the man refuses.

"You're gonna be alright" the man says as he starts to take Hodges with him up to the truck as he continues to ask for the gun. I unbuckle my belt to bend down and take up the gun on the floor, this time i find it. I kick open the front window, making glass fall all over me. But i don't feel it as i crawl out, leaving a dead Brighton behind me. I start to fire my gun but can't seem to aim right as it almost feels like i'm high. But i hit the lights on the roof before i try to make my way up onto the road. I fall a few times, not making me hit them any better. But now that i'm up on the road things start to spin again and the truck is gone. As a strong light comes towards me i try to stand up but am unsuccessful. It's an ambulance, and lucky for me they see me and slow down just a few feet in front of me. Someone comes out of the passenger door and starts to run up to me but i can't really tell who.

"Sloan, what the hell happened?" i hear Aaron's voice echo as he runs up to my side. "Are you alright?"

"Brighton's down there, he's dead" i say, my voice actually working this time and gesture down to the crashed police car.

"Where's Hodges?" he asks.

"He's gone" i say, putting my hand on my head to try and remember everything, it all went by so fast. "It was a big truck, New York tags. Victor, alpha, seven 30, seven eight. They went southbound about five minutes ago"

"Son of a bitch got away?" Aaron says.

"He's got a partner" i say and look down at the ground again as the ringing comes back.