Selfish.

Cgc

I try to come down as quickly as possible from the high I'm feeling.

When Brynn came over earlier, I had no idea that the night would end with me and her kissing. Hell, I didn't even think she would drop the story she did. It's hard to put into words how I feel about it. I don't think I really even know how I feel about it right now. I haven't processed it enough. I do know that Brynn is strong as fuck for going through that at 18. Freshman year. Across the country, Brynn was mourning the loss of her first love. Here, Xander was mourning the loss of his father. I was here for Xander and I saw how horrible he felt every single day. The boys and I tried our best to give Xan good days. But losing someone who means that much to you alters your whole life.

Xander and Brynn both being able to survive that while still having that open wound with them will always make them two of the strongest people I know.

I know this isn't the last time I'm going to hear about Ryle. I don't mind. He was a huge part of her life. She's now a huge part of mine. I've had strong feelings for this girl for weeks now and they just increased a thousand times more after tonight. Tonight's conversation was the last thing I needed to know everything I need to about her. She knows almost everything about me. I didn't think anything was going to be able to ruin tonight until my roommates came home and explained why Xander almost got into it with Aiyden Johnson.

I clench my jaw and my knuckles whiten from how hard I grip the kitchen island. I can't believe Lauren didn't tell me she was still with that guy. I'm surprised Xander almost fought for the girl since they're not as close as they used to be. They have some history together. If I had gone out tonight then I probably would have said something to him but withheld from fighting. I can't fight. None of us can unless we want to risk our spot on the team. Even Aiyden can't fight since he'd be kicked off the basketball team as well.

"Did you guys say anything to her?" I ask any of them. "No. Not yet at least, we plan to," Valdez replies. "I'll tell her," I say. "Maybe I'll even tell Brynn too." They all nod. It would be best to hear it from someone she trusts. I tried to hide my anger. Then I remembered something. I saw Aiyden at her apartment complex just the other day when I went to speak to her. Fuck. I can't believe I forgot. I didn't stay long enough to check if he was going to her apartment. Lauren stays in an off-campus apartment complex where lots of students from Oak Hill stay. I hoped it was a coincidence that he was hooking up with someone who stayed on the same floor as her. But I'm not that much of an idiot, I figured it was her.

I was just too pissed to do anything about it.

I stand up straight and jut my head out to them in goodbye. "Night, boys," I say. I leave them in the kitchen as I make my way back upstairs to my room. When I enter, Brynn's sitting at the head of my bed on her phone. She puts it away as soon as she hears me. "Everything okay?" she questions as I shut the door behind me. I take a seat in front of her and explain to her what my roommates just told me. Her face contorts slightly and it makes me figure something out. She knew. "You knew and you didn't tell me?" I ask. She shakes her head, tucking a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear. "She told me not to say anything. It was supposed to be a lowkey thing between the two of them," Brynn explains.

"Lowkey? How do you date someone lowkey?" I wonder. Brynn shrugs her shoulders. "Look, I don't know, but can I be the one to tell her? I know you're angry at her and I don't think we should go into this with that. . . attitude. She'll be really upset. She likes him. . ." I almost laugh at that sentence. How could anyone like him? It's comical, really. I blow a frustrated breath through my nose. "Fine. Just. . tell her everything. Don't sugarcoat anything to spare her feelings. She needs to know everything," I tell Brynn. Maybe she'll finally see that this guy isn't worth dating or keeping lowkey. Whatever.