I'm Sorry.

Cgc

"So we're sure he wants to do something tonight?" Xander asks. Maddy, Novalee, Xander, and I all sit at a table in the student lounge as we wait for Rhys to finish heat therapy on his shoulder that's been bothering him. Valdez is staying back a little bit longer to have a meeting with the defense. It's Saturday and since it was our bye week, we didn't have a game but still had to come to campus for a meeting. "Yes, he agreed to it since he knows about it and it's not a surprise like last year," Nova says. Today is November 6th, also known as Valdez's birthday.

We threw him a party last year even though we all knew he would probably hate it and well, he did. It's why Xander's being so cautious asking Nova about it. We don't want to upset him again. "It's just going to be us, though. Plus, Rhys, Max, and Brynn," Nova adds. I look over at Nova immediately at her name being mentioned. "Why her too?" I ask, annoyed.

"She's our friend, C," Nova says. I roll my eyes and cross my arms over my chest. I haven't been talking to her for the past couple of days. Well, more like ignoring her ever since I found out she went out on that date with that Luke dude. I tried moving on from my feelings for her after my failed attempt to make a move. I knew I wouldn't be able to move on from the beginning because the feelings I felt for Brynn were feelings I haven't felt for anybody ever. Those fuckers came out of nowhere and devoured me whole — my feelings, I mean.

I'm still upset at the fact that she went on a date with him. I'm also pissed at myself for not realizing how big of an idiot I fucking am. She was never going to tell me whenever she was finally ready because she hasn't been interested since the beginning. It's not the best feeling in the world, but I can't do anything about it. Maybe I'm better off anyway.

"So we have a couple of places to go before we head back to your guys' place," Nova says. Xander and Maddy both nod. Rhys gets out of therapy a couple of minutes later and then we all leave in Xander's car. We go to the grocery store, the liquor store, and the bakery. We bought a cake yesterday, but it ended up on Valdez's face this morning. I for sure thought he'd catch us before we were able to get it off but luck was on our side. We get back to the house and Valdez still isn't home from his meeting so Maddy and Max begin to set up a happy birthday banner Nova bought. "Do you need help?" I ask Nova, sitting down on one of the bar stools.

She's making the only thing she knows how to make: chicken alfredo. It's damn good though so I'm not complaining. She shakes her head at me as she fills a pot full of water in the sink. "Maybe later." She smiles. "Let me know," I say before getting up and getting two waters from the fridge. I walk over to the couch and throw one to Rhys.

He barely catches it as he holds a beer in one hand. "Don't get drunk, bitch. We play next weekend," I tell him. He laughs shortly. "It's barely Saturday, calm down." I elbow his ribs with small force but he still flinches. "I don't care. You already used all this week to drink. You need to slow down," I say, all serious. He rolls his eyes and takes another swig from his beer.

The season is going well so far since we've only lost one game but I don't like celebrating too much after wins since our ultimate goal is still far away. We can win as many times as we want but if we lose before getting to the National Championship again, then there's no point. Rhys is doing well too and when he drinks a lot, it slows him down once we get back to it. I'm only looking out for him.

Valdez sneaks into the kitchen and drops his bag before hugging Nova from behind, catching her off guard. She turns around and wraps her arms around her neck, hugging him. "Birthday boy! Come here so I can give you a kiss," Xander says, sitting on the couch in front of Rhys and I. Maddy's distracted with finishing putting the banner up, not paying attention to his comment. Christian pulls away from his girlfriend and walks over to sit on the couch next to Xan. They look at each other for a long second, building tension, before Xan starts leaning in. Maddy finally looks up and walks over, wrapping her arm around his neck in a chokehold, pulling him back against her. We all laugh at that. "Maybe later," Xander winks at Chris as Maddy still wraps her skinny arm around him. "Maybe not," she retorts.